Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extruding surface to point?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
jlee799C4
6351 Views, 5 Replies

Extruding surface to point?

Screen Shot 2015-12-15 at 5.47.10 PM.pngHello, 

A portion of my project has a cylinder. In Fusion 360, I want to extrude the top surface of the cylinder to a center point outside to form a sharp cone at the end of the cylinder. I am a Fusion 360 newbie and can only think of "extruding to a point" as a method. If other options (better/easier) are available, please tell me as well. The picture is what I made in Blender 3D, where I extruded the top surface once and the new top-most surface was scaled to zero to create the pointed end. If I can do the same manipulation in Fusion, as in Blender, I could not find how. 

Thanks,

jlee

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jeff_strater
in reply to: jlee799C4

You can do Extrude with a Taper Angle specified, or you can do a Loft to a Point to get this effect.  Each has their own advantages.  I'll put together a short screencast to illustrate.  Back soon!

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 6
jeff_strater
in reply to: jeff_strater

OK, here are the two methods:

1. if you know the angle of the cone you want to put on top of your cylinder, use Extrude.  Choose the top face of the cylinder in Extrude, and enter the angle you want.  Then, just change the extrude distance so that it exceeds the point where the cone comes to a point.

2. If you know the distance you want the point from the end of your cone, create a construction plane at that distance, then a construction axis through the cylinder, then a construction point at the intersection of that construction axis and the construction plane.  Then, use  Loft to create the material from the top of the cylinder to the point.

Here is a screencast showing both methods:

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 4 of 6
jlee799C4
in reply to: jeff_strater

What a perfect solution(s), with a prompt one at that !
I like both solutions and will apply the loft method for my project.
Thank you very much, indeed!
jlee
Message 5 of 6
stevetrevella
in reply to: jlee799C4

Hi. Would this work with text or other drawing to extrude a 3d drawing to a perspective point

Message 6 of 6
davebYYPCU
in reply to: stevetrevella

Probably, a legal 2d sketch will loft to a point.

Might help...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report