Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extrude in specific direction

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
1094 Views, 10 Replies

extrude in specific direction

Help please?

See attached screen shot; I'm trying to extend the edges straight down of the sweeping curve (which i built in 'form') or extrude the plane only down...

The sweep will eventually run across the top, and down the other side...

.Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 09.29.02.png

i've found the thicken command, but that follows the shape of the curve. i want to just build material straight down.....

There's possible a way to do the curve differently?

thanks in advance....

Jonathan

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
davebYYPCU
in reply to: Anonymous

To think outside the square on this one,

Extrude the parallel paths shown in blue, out to the end of the stop block, or existing lip, with

your form surface turned off - not visible,

then using the form tool as a cutter, split (the extrude) body, and remove or hide the excess extruded material.

the very top edge of the form tool may not reach, but should give a few clues,

Sorry about the work devoted to the formed cutter, but a sketch curve would do the same operation.

Will need the file to go further.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Thanks for your response. how can i share the file with you? i've been scratching my head for hours about this!! i'me sure it's one of those things that can be done easily; just a sweep/transition really between two edges....

I'm not too sure how to use the form as a cutter....

Message 4 of 11
davebYYPCU

Ok, while in Fusion, quickest way is to Export ( halfway down the file menu) the file, to your hard drive, 

reply to the forum new post, and lower down the page is an attachments box, browse to and select the exported file, and it will be linked for us to download, open and work in.

Same as adding files to emails.

There are other ways.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

ok. here's the file...

thanks so much for your help.

Message 6 of 11
davebYYPCU

Ok, did what I thought you wanted, in the first post but, screenshot was not as clear to me as first thought,

So I have done what I suggested, may not be what you want, considering the shape of the surface body, and your ideas.

So if you wish to explain - close but no cigar, no worries,

Now what I did do, is add new bodies so you don't have to fuss just turn them off if not right.  I extruded the "border" to the stop, then projected the inside curve off the surface, and extended it, into a new sketch, then Split the Body, with that sketch and turned off the remanent body. 

Have a look around, and let me know if I can assist, happy to help.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

I see what you did thanks.

sorry to say 'close but no cigar' though!

If you look at the original 'sweep plane' i drew, it follows the top edge, then runs down to the sides -imagine a roller coaster track, so it kind of banks down..... hard to explain sorry!!

So the shape of that is right, but i need it to be filled in vertically down to the base.....

i've put the file back on here, with the thicken command which kinda works, but the direction needs to go straight down.... rather than the funny shape that's generated as it follows the sweep plane..... I can delete the bits that stick out the back, but there's still some odd shapes generated....

I really appreciate your time spent on this- thank you.

Message 8 of 11
davebYYPCU

Like this?,

I am surprised there was no error, but I figure you can clean up the bottom area, quick fix for tonight, it's after 11pm, so got it on second thoughts, you will see what I have done, you can tailor to your requirements.

Just love Fusion....  presume you will mirror them, to 4 corners.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

wow! Thats bang on thanks so much....

I'll take it to bits to see how you did it!

sorry, i didn't realise you're on a time difference...

Thanks again for your help on this, i love fusion too, can't wait to be up to speed.....

regards,

Jonathan

Message 10 of 11
davebYYPCU

No mystery, extrude to Object, from underneath.  My first thoughts after clarification were too complicated.

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

Even so; it's only easy when you know how.

Thanks again

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report