Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extend vs Extrude

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
kamalwindows11
288 Views, 4 Replies

Extend vs Extrude

Hi guys ,can anyone tell me the difference  between extend and extrude command in Fusion 360 surface tab

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

The biggest difference is that Surface Extrude can "create" a surface body where Extend cannot.  It only edits a surface body.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 5

While that is very much true John, the biggest difference is there's no good reason for actually using the "extend command". It just causes problems down the road. Just kidding, John it right, extrude manipulates solid bodies, and extend manipulates sufaces. 

Message 4 of 5

The original poster is referring to the Extrude and Extend command, both located under the Surface modeling tools.  This Extrude command only creates a surface body and will work with a solid but only to create surface bodies such shown below. I personally find the main use of the surface Extend command is to extend surfaces to other surfaces to create a closed surface boundary for further modeling processes.

Surface Extrude.gif

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 5 of 5
Bunga777
in reply to: kamalwindows11

There are many differences between Extrude and Extend.

Suppose you have a surface created in Revolve like this.

bunga_0-1667021156155.png

Try running Extrude.

bunga_1-1667021244424.png

The options include Start Position, Direction, Extent Type, Distance, Angle, etc., allowing for a variety of shapes to be created.

The tangent line is the same as the Extend line, but this one creates a new face as a body.

Next, Extend is executed.

bunga_2-1667021399769.png

This is an extension of Natural Type, but instead of creating a face, it is literally extended.

When set to Tangent Type, a tangent surface is created just like Extrude, but this is only an auxiliary function of Extend, and its original function is to extend a surface.

bunga_3-1667021515029.png

Both functions are similar, but there are things that only Extend can do, and there are things that only Extrude can do, so you will have to use them differently depending on the situation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report