Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export Fusion Text Font to Inkscape

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
754 Views, 4 Replies

Export Fusion Text Font to Inkscape

Hi. I have a reverse of the normal Fusion font/text issues...I need to get a Fusion sketch into Inkscape for use as a graphic that matches my 2D sketch based on Fusion-exclusive fonts such as Leculier and Artifakt Element Heavy.  Unfortunately I don't feel comfortable posting the sketch or resulting imported graphic here due to IP issues, and I understand that may limit the responses I get.

The DXF exports fine, and appears fine upon import into Inkscape.  However, upon closer inspection inside Inkscape, the vectors are broken up badly, won't join, and most importantly won't fill with color.

Any idea how to get a clean export/import using the available fonts within Fusion and maintaining the true Fusion geometry in the Inkscape graphic?

Thanks!

Tom

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
etfrench
in reply to: Anonymous

It's likely Inkscape can't handle Fusion 360 splines.  You might try loading the dxf in Autocad, then create a new dxf to import into Inkscape.  My 2d CAD program also can't handle Fusion 360 splines. 

Another possibility would be to create a Fusion 360 drawing of the sketch, save it as a pdf, then import that into Inkscape.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: etfrench

Agree the text/font splines are the source of the issue.  Actual CAD geometry imports just fine.

Tried the suggested approach of extruding the sketch including the text, putting it on a Fusion drawing, and exporting it as a PDF.  The imported PDF exhibits the same behavior, unfortunately.

Message 4 of 5
etfrench
in reply to: Anonymous

Check the app store.  It looks like there is an add-on to create polylines from splines.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: etfrench

I had big hopes for the spline to polyline DXF export app, but the resulting DXF comes out a jumbled mess, just a hash of random segments of the original sketch.  I tried various accuracy/deviation settings from 1.0mm down to 0.1mm, same results.

I think I'm going to have to punt on this one and recreate the Fusion sketch as a 2D vector graphic directly in Inkscape.  The biggest challenge is replicating the Autodesk-proprietary font Artifakt with a similar typeface.

Very frustrating--I don't really understand why text is such a difficult thing for Fusion when so many people rely on text for logos and branding.  This, too, is as much a part of product development nowadays as mechanical and electrical CAD geometry.

Thanks for the help though!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report