Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicating features in sketch ?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
nuCreator
204 Views, 4 Replies

Duplicating features in sketch ?

Another very basic question, sorry...

So, at the end I need something like this:

Pic2.jpg

Seems very easy, so I created the sketch:

Pic1.jpg

What is the proper way creating a duplicate of the highlighted feature ? And I'm trying to make a fully parametric part, so that copy should be fully "attached" to the original and be changing if I change the original one...

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Drewpan
in reply to: nuCreator

Hi,

First off you need a fully constrained sketch - that means all of the lines are either dimensioned or they are

constrained so that the lines are all black and there is a little lock icon on the sketch. Learn to do it always now and

you will have less issues with breaking geometry later.

There are many ways to do what you are describing and there is no proper way, just some preferred ways that are

arguably better.

One way you might do this is by sketching the base part with only one side piece then extruding it the way you want.

If you then want a parametric copy you can set a distance parameter and do a linear pattern of the side feature. This

way you only define the side feature once, then you can put as many of them around or along the main piece as you

like and they will be identical. This is only one method.

As a guide, try to keep sketches simple and use the modelling tools to do the heavy lifting. You could also model the

side piece as a separate body, copy it then join, or combine the one (or more) copies to the main part.

It really depends on what you are trying to create, what you know, what you want to know, what you want to learn.

Have a look at RULE #0 pinned to the top of the forum. It comes down to keep practicing.

Cheers

Andrew

Message 3 of 5
nuCreator

Andrew, I know about constrains and how to make parametric parts (at least, more - less).

I have a quite specific question - possibly I wasn't clear enough... There is a highlighted feature on the left part of my sketch. I have identical feature on the right side of the sketch. My question - how instead of recreating manually that feature on the right side (it's what I did for now) to create a "linked" copy of the feature from the left.

You mentioned a linear pattern - could be a great idea, thanks ! Will try it right now... 

Message 4 of 5
jhackney1972

In this particular example, once you create the Feature, you can create a Rectangular Pattern of that feature. 

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 5 of 5
nuCreator

Yes, a Rectangular Pattern worked great, thank you !

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report