Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DOES AUTODESK FUSION 360 SUPPORT LINUX OS

215 REPLIES 215
SOLVED
Message 1 of 216
Anonymous
106550 Views, 215 Replies

DOES AUTODESK FUSION 360 SUPPORT LINUX OS

HELLO 

I WOULD LIKE TO DOES AUTODESK FUSION 360 SUPPORT LINUX OS

AND 

WHICH WOULD BE THE BEST PROCSSER FOR FUSION IF I AM HANDELING LARGE CAM AND COMPLEX 3D ASSEMLY

LET ME KNOW

215 REPLIES 215
Message 201 of 216
joao_mamede
in reply to: daniel_lyall

Here comes the Region of Interest (ROI) MS groupie 🙂
Message 202 of 216
scott.d.gray
in reply to: joao_mamede

If we've got to do the finances too, let's just make it a code bounty. I'm
already a paying customer, but I'll gladly kick in another $200 one time
for a native Linux version.
Message 203 of 216

@joao_mamede wrote:
Here comes the Region of Interest (ROI) MS groupie 🙂

Yep, that is certainly a convincing argument 🙄

I can see how the folks at AD get all excited about a Linux version now ...

EESignature

Message 204 of 216

I don't understand acronyms, is the point. Rules of English say: first time you use one, define it.
Message 205 of 216
joao_mamede
in reply to: scott.d.gray

This makes no sense, it takes less money to code in linux than windows, therefore the windows version should be more expensive if we go bean counting.
Message 206 of 216

@joao_mamede wrote:
I don't understand acronyms, is the point. Rules of English say: first time you use one, define it.

Oh, LOL. My bad!

ROI in the business world means Return Of Investment.

All too often it has to be proven before an investment is made, what the prospective financial gain will be.

The hard numbers for the expenditure are usually easy to calculate based on past experience and data. The guesstimated "numbers" by nature usually are rather vague. In larger organizations that "mindset" often hinders innovation and progress.

EESignature

Message 207 of 216

@joao_mamede wrote:
This makes no sense, it takes less money to code in linux than windows, therefore the windows version should be more expensive if we go bean counting.

Can you provide some hard data?

Where does that "less expensive" come from?

Less cost in required hardware?

Less cost in required software?

Fewer hours in programing?

What is the cost of retraining an entire organization in the use of new development tools?

How long does it take to get into a routine so that work can continue productively?

I am looking for hard numbers here, not opinions gathered on Forums discussing these topics with other users who don't have data.

It's fun playing the devil's advocate. People are all too eager to assume you have something against... whatever.

Just so I can provide a bit of background on where this is coming from. I spent 20  of 30 years of my engineering career developing concepts, budgets, and proposals for large capital equipment projects. When working for companies acquiring equipment I had to provide the justification as well. It is very painful having to argue the merits of an investment with people who have no imagination!

Today I work for a company providing & building that equipment. I don't personally have to worry about the justification process anymore, but I do have to help our customers along that process.

It is not us you have to convince. I'd love to see a version for Linux.

EESignature

Message 208 of 216

And do you also do power analysis prior to launching in Windows? and ANOVA statistics with multiple column comparison tests?

And, everything is a guess, even for MacosX was. If you never try, you'll never know.

But, why, me a client has to do the financial report for the company? Why are you asking me, a client, to justify my interest in being a client?
Message 209 of 216
etfrench
in reply to: joao_mamede

@joao_mamede wrote:
And do you also do power analysis prior to launching in Windows? and ANOVA statistics with multiple column comparison tests?

And, everything is a guess, even for MacosX was. If you never try, you'll never know.

But, why, me a client has to do the financial report for the company? Why are you asking me, a client, to justify my interest in being a client?

It should be obvious that Autodesk has done the analysis and found it wasn't worth spending money and resources on developing a Linux version, especially when there are good workarounds. You can find some of those workarounds by reading through the entire thread.

You can only hope this will change in the future.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 210 of 216
cryinkfly
in reply to: Anonymous

For my part, I have to say, even if there is still no official version of Autodesk Fusion 360 for Linux, my workaround works better and better over time.

But that only works because the community supports me and Autodesk itself has contributed a part to the fact that this software largely runs via the cloud and therefore sets fewer requirements in order to be able to use it under Linux with the help of Wine.

In addition, this year Autodesk has implemented OpenGL as a graphics driver as an option, so you no longer have to rely on DirectX (DXVK) solutions.

Furthermore, you can also see in my project that the list of tested graphics cards is increasing and that the further development of Wine (currently 7.0 rc2), for example the photo-realistic visualization with ray tracing, has improved.

In any case, there seems to be a need:

traffic-Visitors.png

And people from different companies and universities are also represented in my community.

Message 211 of 216
cryinkfly

And I'm also already working on getting other Autodesk products (Revit 2022, AutoCAD 2022) to run on Linux.

However, these programs are more difficult to get running, unlike Autodesk Fusion 360.

AutoCAD2022-Linux.png

Message 212 of 216
barry9UDQ6
in reply to: cryinkfly

Brilliant Stuff!

I almost exclusively use Fusion and Blender, and Blender (2.9) has been shown to run up to 50% faster on Ubuntu than Windows.

The devs for Fusion have different groups of users all clamoring for their preferred features to be worked on, and of course they can't please everybody. Fusion already offers brilliant bang for your buck, and I think Linux support would be a real asset.

Message 213 of 216
cryinkfly

I've released another new update💬

With this update I have made some changes to my Setup Wizard for Linux and also added numerous new features. 🙂

I'm still working on my own solutions to make Autodesk Fusion 360 more accessible to even more people around the world. For example, I'm working with Vosk on a voice control for Autodesk Fusion 360! 🗣

You can watch the video on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvBCIKRb_os

Message 214 of 216
cryinkfly

Greetings to all Autodesk Fusion 360 users 👋,

today I will inform you about the current visitor numbers and thus the interest in Autodesk Fusion 360 under Linux.

Because a lot has happened! 👀

If I compare the numbers about half a year ago with those of today, then you can see that the numbers have tripled or doubled. 👌

Old visitor numbers:

traffic-Visitors.png

Current visitor numbers:

Bildschirmfoto_2022-05-06_08-53-39.png

Maybe you are interested in the numbers. 🙂

Best regards from Germany

Steve Zabka

Message 215 of 216
stiller.design
in reply to: cryinkfly

tolle Sache!!! echt eine gute Arbeit. Ich moechte auch gerne auf Linux wecheln. Werde das mal probieren.
Message 216 of 216
Vindix007

Captura de tela de 2023-05-20 21-00-09.png

Fusion 360 running here perfectly on Arch Linux (using the script made by Cryinkfly).

My specs:

CPU: i5-8600

GPU: RX-550

RAM: 16 GB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report