Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dividing Lines and splines into equal parts

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
18187 Views, 13 Replies

Dividing Lines and splines into equal parts

Hello, I need to divide lines and spines into equal parts, like you can see in this AutoCad Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn8Is07B0do

How can I do this in Fusion 360?

Thank you

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
PhilProcarioJr
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous

I believe per our discussion this is what your after....

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

Message 3 of 14
adamsd5
in reply to: PhilProcarioJr

Nice video... thanks.  What if my line isn't an exact "8 inches"?  Can I set the distance based on the second point?

Message 4 of 14
etfrench
in reply to: adamsd5

For straight lines and splines, measure it first, then enter that number as the Extent.

For arcs, measure the angle first.

For ellipses, you need to define what you mean first Smiley Happy

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 5 of 14
MichaelT_123
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Mr. Mendonca,

If you have some F360 API proficiency look at: 

<CurveEvaluator3D Object getStrokes>

It is not difficult to write the appropriate function. For TF360 members with the access to F360 core guts, it would be a breeze!

Regards

MichaelT

MichaelT
Tags (3)
Message 6 of 14
HughesTooling

@adamsd5 wrote:

Nice video... thanks.  What if my line isn't an exact "8 inches"?  Can I set the distance based on the second point?

You can use a dimension as a reference in the pattern. Before starting the pattern feature hover the mouse pointer over the dimension you want to use and note it's parameter, in the screencast below it's d1. The screencast is for an arc but the same procedure works for a line. Note, you don't need to add a point to the start of the line\arc you can use it's endpoint.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 14
adamsd5
in reply to: HughesTooling

Thanks Mark,

I think this would meet my needs if I could reference driven dimension as discussed here:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation/ability-to-reference-driven-dimensions/idi-p/5...

(I can't tell if this is still in development or not.)

What I have is an edge whose length is driven by other constraints.  Then I want to subdivide that.  Each time I change the other constraints, I need to edit my timeline and do a measure/copy/paste.  It would be great to add the driven dimension, give it a variable name, and then set that variable name as you suggest.

Darryl

Message 8 of 14
HughesTooling

Referencing driven dimension is still not implemented I'm afraid. Your only workaround is if you can calculate the length from the dimensions you have, see this thread\post for an example. You might need to use a different workflow, do you have an example design you can share? Export as an f3d and attach if you have an example.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 14
adamsd5

Gotcha, thanks.  I think I can rework my design to allow me to compute the dimensions myself.  For now, I don't change things around that much, so if I have to manually update the pattern length, I can live with that.  (If I get stuck, I'll post the specific problem for guidance!)

Message 10 of 14
tcurdt

Hm. This looks easy in your video but I cannot select the dimension to split my line like that.

Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 01.56.23.png

Tags (3)
Message 11 of 14
etfrench
in reply to: tcurdt

You don't select the dimension. You hover over it to get its ID (name).  Once you have the ID, use that in a formula.

You can also get the ID in the Change Parameters dialogue.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 12 of 14
tcurdt
in reply to: etfrench

I just had the eye opening moment about the id part somewhere else - but that still doesn't quite get me all the way.
Here I have d25 being 30mm:
Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 03.19.07.png

but when I enter it it goes well beyond that:
Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 03.20.28.png

Also not sure what the "Suppress" does.

Message 13 of 14
etfrench
in reply to: tcurdt

You'll need to attach your file to the thread: File|Export|Archive file *.f3d

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 14 of 14
project_5
in reply to: PhilProcarioJr

Thank you, Phil. For the spline, I replaced the point with a sphere (Outside of the sketch) then used the "Pattern on a path" for body. After the pattern, I created a new sketch and projected both the spline and the spheres.

Thank you so much!

@ PhilProcario

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report