Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Derive fixture

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
nubrandao
772 Views, 22 Replies

Derive fixture

Hi, maybe I'm doing something wrong 

I usually start open a step file, component, sketch, some modify in the model and save.

Now, I derive a fixture like a vise.

I choose a vise and ok

Then start joint a my vise to my component, but starts asking to capture position, and the parts move, I can joint, but I usually don't get at firsts, 

It's important that my component don't move, only the fixture,

Should I break link of my fixture?

The I need to flip my fixture vise,

Derive again a new one, 

Most the time the component move, some time revert position, 

But when I start machining, the stock from the first don't align with the second

My question here is:

In order to my part be always in the same position, what should I do?

Ground parent?

Break link fixture? Capture position?

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Drewpan
in reply to: nubrandao

Hi,

I would strongly recommend that you do the embedded tutorials in the Fusion Documentation and also some of the

Self-Paced Learning to help you to learn fusion faster and better. They can be found here:

Drewpan_0-1721959761974.png

It is also much easier for the forum to help you if you attach your file AND a screenshot of what you want to achieve

and what the problem is. You can create a file to export like this:

Drewpan_1-1721959761975.png

Ok, Lets try to solve your problem. It would really help if you attached your file here but from what you have described

you seem to have a problem with creating components and moving them around.

When you create a model, every separate part of the model should be a separate component. Your main component

should be grounded to stop it moving around. A recent update of fusion should do this by default but I have not

actually noticed this behaviour so at least check to see if it IS grounded.

You then have two different methods of designing new components and assembling your model. You can use the

method where you design every new component at the Origin and then use Joints to connect them to the model. Or

you can design the component in place where it is meant to be and then use an As Built joint. Either way you need to

actually use Joints to connect the components together. If you do not use joints then when you move something

then you will only move that something not everything joined to it.

I would strongly recommend doing the embedded tutorials in the documentation and the Self Paced Learning that

is provided by AutoDesk. It shows you how to create and use joints well.

Do NOT just simply use the Move command or Copy/Paste commands to move stuff around unless you REALLY need to.

While you will sometimes need to use these commands they are not there to move stuff because you cannot see what

you are doing. The Eye icon on the browser tree is to turn visibility on and off and should be used when you cannot see

stuff.

Using the Move command causes fusion to re-calculate the model every time it finds the Move icon in the time line.

This can seriously affect the performance of fusion. If you have multiple Moves then fusion re-calculates for EACH one

of them, even if the thing you did immediately before was move something else.

It is possible to avoid this by disabling the time line but again, there are times you should do this but it is often better

NOT to do it. If you don't know how the timeline works then do the tutorials and self paced learning. The timeline is

a very powerful modelling tool and makes fixing problems much easier.

Hopefully this has answered your question. Next time or if you have more questions then attach your model or at least

a screenshot of what the problem is. It makes it much easier to help people when they do.

Cheers

Andrew

Message 3 of 23
nubrandao
in reply to: Drewpan

Thank you very much, I will try to attach some screenshots 

I will try some tutorial 

How can I Screencast?

Message 4 of 23
Drewpan

Hi,

There is a series of RULES that are pinned to the top of the forum. These will help you to learn and use fusion. The

best way to go about it is pick something you like and model it. When you get into trouble post a question. Do this

often and you will learn fusion quickly and it is well worth it.

There was a plug in for fusion to screencast but it is no longer available. I use software called OBS but if you google

there may be better software out there. I don't use it very often myself.

Good luck with your modelling.

Cheers

Andrew

Message 5 of 23
nubrandao

I saw the rules, but I have to admit I dint saw for a long time, I have to
check it again.

I still use fusion has learning software because 90% of my work is still in
powershape and powermill

We still have a short dead line to deliver work so I avoid using a lot
fusion because of some issues I find .
Message 6 of 23
nubrandao

I made I video. I'm still very weak in cad department 

What I can do better and how to solve the stock problem 

Message 7 of 23
nubrandao

Video

Message 8 of 23
Drewpan

Hi,

In all honesty you will get out more than you put in with fusion. Spend the weekend and a few hours to get your head

around it and fusion will become a powerful tool. It is well worth the effort.

Cheers

Andrew

Message 9 of 23
nubrandao

I really like fusion, more then powershape, but like you said, need more time practice fusion

Message 10 of 23
a.laasW8M6T

Hi

This is what I do for my workflow, Although I don't often bother with inserting the Kurt Vice for the final operation, but it is nice for visualization 

My workholding templates are based on this Autodesk University presentation

is is from a few years ago but the fundamentals still apply.

https://www.autodesk.com/autodesk-university/class/Streamlining-CAM-Workflows-Templates-2019

Now with configurations(and other improvements to fusion like Sync View and visibility) its much easier.

I've attached my template if you would like to see how its setup, I don't think you use zero point/lang in your work but you may be able to adapt it to your workflow.

I also use this add-in  to quickly open a template, insert the active part file into it and save it, its a gamechanger for this type of workflow.

https://github.com/schneik80/IMA-PowerData

EDIT:

The part of the add-in that opens and inserts files into the template is Related Data, this is integrated with this add-in and improved from a standalone version but doesn't contain instructions on how to configure it.

Th instructions can be found here for the Standalone add-in:

https://github.com/schneik80/Fusion-Create-Discipline-Document

Message 11 of 23
nubrandao
in reply to: a.laasW8M6T

It sound easy in the video.

I have to create vise with vise parametric 

Don't you recommend manufacturing mode? It's seems easier for me... but don't the consequences 

Message 12 of 23
a.laasW8M6T

Hi

Its a bit of work to create a template but once you have it its is dramatically faster.

I wouldn't use Manufacturing Models AT ALL, they don't work properly as you have found with transferring stock from preceding setups, all your workholding models etc should be done in Design only.

Manufacturing models were really designed for nesting/ arrange workflows, they do not have the ability to use sync view and visibility.

Message 13 of 23
nubrandao

I already worked in 4 parts using manufacturing model, at the beginning, to get the stock right, I save stock has .STL, then import again, and make the model and stl rigid group.

What I didn't understand why the stock was in a different location every time I flipped the vise.

Later I saw that during joint, my part was moving, if a revert position, my model went back to his original position and then my stock became in the same position when changing setup.

I still have have sync view perfectly working with manufacturing model.

Can you try again and see if manufacturing model is now working properly? 

My question is because I'm teaching the first steps to my college at the company, I told them to use manufacturing model... I just want now to be certain if using vise is always better in design 

Message 14 of 23
a.laasW8M6T

Again I wouldn't recommend using Manufacturing models, they may have made improvements to them since I last used them years ago but I find it to be an unnecessary extra amount of work, plus all the benefits of the parametric configurable vice/stock wont work in a manufacturing model.

If you have to use .stl for stock and have to use capture positions or revert positions then there is definitely a problem.

I'm not sure if others use this exact work flow but I believe this is the "Correct" way of doing things, its a bit hard to know without seeing exactly what you are trying to achieve.

Message 15 of 23
nubrandao

I just created a paramedic vise, very cool, I did like you said for the second vise, set the part width, etc. was cool

And you right

I can make all the assembling vise at work, then just go to manufacturing and set the setups

Message 16 of 23
nubrandao

Bnuno608_0-1722127442981.png

how can i set properly in this vise?

the basic one is solved, but this one, dont know were the joint point is to be properly set my stock

Message 17 of 23
a.laasW8M6T

Hi

I have uploaded the configured version of my vices in a previous reply to the thread, it would be worth looking at that to see how its done there, the trick is that the stock isn't jointed to the vice at all, its jointed to the origin, the vice is also jointed to the Origin, that way they share a common reference

Here is a short video explanation:

Message 18 of 23
nubrandao

Very nice, being in the origin is better

How do you record your videos?

Another question I'm still confused 

For example, I have 2 or 4 identical parts.

I want to machine once.

I know how to do setup and multiple offsets.

But in this situation, I want to see all my parts in the setup, I want to pattern.

When I start the setup, should I only choose one part, do all the toolpath, then pattern ?

Or in the setup I must put all the parts and program only one part?

The question is if I have multiple parts in the setup, everytime I calc a toolpath,it trys to machine the other parts unless I create a boundary.

What's the best way to do this?

Message 19 of 23
a.laasW8M6T

Hi

I use OBS as a screen recorder, its free:

https://obsproject.com/

as for the multiple parts, I'll have to have a think about that and get back to you, Its not something I do often as we really only make one offs most of the time

Message 20 of 23
a.laasW8M6T

Hi

See video on my thoughts on patterns in Fusion.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report