Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting Ghost Dependencies

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Fully_Defined
303 Views, 7 Replies

Deleting Ghost Dependencies

I wanted to copy parameters from one design to another, and you probably know where this is going.

First, I found this: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-design-validate-document/share-parameters/td-p/5838742

And then I found this: https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Error-A-version-of...

LOL

Because it is not self-evident how derive works, I actually did it backwards, so now my good parts with good parameters are dependent on the part I just wanted to copy the parameters over to.

Because the derive failed, I have a part that is sitting in my project that can't be deleted, and which my good parts have dependencies to. Can I remove this dependency? I just want to go back in time to before I did this,  so I can delete this part. I can't find anywhere in the file where the dependency is noted, except for when I try to delete it.

No, I am not going to share my parts with you.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
g-andresen
in reply to: Fully_Defined

Hi,

@Fully_Defined  schrieb:

No, I am not going to share my parts with you.

By analogy, a dentist would say: If you are not willing to open your mouth so that I can look at your teeth, you will have to leave in pain.

Günther

Message 3 of 8
Fully_Defined
in reply to: g-andresen

@g-andresen wrote:

By analogy, a dentist would say: If you are not willing to open your mouth so that I can look at your teeth, you will have to leave in pain.

Günther

I was trying to save time and a future unpleasant conversation, but okay.

The Great Mahatma once said: "If you don't understand simple problems presented to you logically, then you probably should spend less time in chat rooms offering advice and more time learning the software."

I just want to know if I have to scrap my parts now (thanks, Autodesk!) and start over or if there was some way to undo this. Everything there is to know is in the initial post.

On the bright side, I have learned that there is no way to copy and paste parameters. Good to know! It's not a total loss.

Message 4 of 8

I would guess the best way, for you, is to Open up a past version, before your issue, and Save As to create a version without your problem.  There probably is another method but it is hard to say without the model. 

As far a copying Parameters between models, you can create an empty component, add your parameters and then save it.  You can then Insert it into any design, Break the Link, and have the parameters available.  It helps the process to make the parameters you want favorites in the master component.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 5 of 8

Disclaimer: This workflow is actually a bug that I reported a while back, but it hasn't been fixed yet!

If I understand your workflow correctly, you derived parameters from the bad_part to the good_part.

You can unfavorite the parameters in the bad_part and save the bad_part. Then update the good_part. Now the link between the parameters is actually broken!

Assuming that is the only link between the bad_part and the good_part, you can now follow the workflow described in one of the links you posted. Move the bad_part into a trash project, archive the trash project, and delete it.

The derive workflow for parameters is clunky. When I posted the pug on the Fusion Slack channel I was told that a better approach would be using global parameters (which we obviously don't have yet) , and they are working on it.

EESignature

Message 6 of 8

@TrippyLighting wrote:

Disclaimer: This workflow is actually a bug that I reported a while back, but it hasn't been fixed yet!

If I understand your workflow correctly, you derived parameters from the bad_part to the good_part.

You can unfavorite the parameters in the bad_part and save the bad_part. Then update the good_part. Now the link between the parameters is actually broken!

Assuming that is the only link between the bad_part and the good_part, you can now follow the workflow described in one of the links you posted. Move the bad_part into a trash project, archive the trash project, and delete it.

The derive workflow for parameters is clunky. When I posted the pug on the Fusion Slack channel I was told that a better approach would be using global parameters (which we obviously don't have yet) , and they are working on it.

I was hoping there was a better way, but in the end this worked.

I generally work with virtual assemblies in Solidworks, and edit the parts by opening them from the assembly, so all the parts have access to the assembly's global variables, but in Fusion I generally just create each part on its own and insert it into the assembly. I have been burned before by unbreakable dependencies and obviously I was super bummed to have this happen to me the other day.

I prefer to use global variables that all the parts pull from, rather than using projected geometry in sketches. Those little purple lines in Fusion look like duct tape and band-aids to me. Not a fan.

Message 7 of 8
etfrench
in reply to: Fully_Defined

Parameter IO addin works fairly well for making parameters behave like global parameters.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
Fully_Defined
in reply to: etfrench

@etfrench wrote:

Parameter IO addin works fairly well for making parameters behave like global parameters.

Good call.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report