Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cut diagram

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1022 Views, 7 Replies

cut diagram

Would anyone mind coaching me through or providing an example of how they would go about creating a cut diagram for this model here? I have tried the program cutlist. It uses the exported BOM from fusion but its all jacked up. Any advice or example using my model would be super helper for me to learn from. Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
davebYYPCU
in reply to: Anonymous

What format do you need, 

DXF for Laser, or Water Jet,  (DXFer)

or Laid out Components, for the CAM section? (Nester). This one has a Youtube video demo.

Both Apps are on GitHub, and work as the names suggest.

Might help...

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: davebYYPCU

The goal here is for my woodworking plan in the shop. All hand work. I will be ripping and cross cutting sheet goods with a table saw, and I want to optimize my materials. Most woodworking plans tend to come with a 4x8 plywood layout with all of the items laid out on it in a optimized way. I know there is the nester program and several tools to sort of automagically do this, but they are not good and quite complicated. They may work for a CNC layout but not for general use.

I know sketchup has support for this, and I know that fusion doesnt really have support for it yet. I'm generally just reaching out to the community of experience, asking how you would do this if you needed to, and provide an example if you have time.

Message 4 of 8
davebYYPCU

Firstly, I did not open this file, and presumed it was the same cabinet from the previous thread.

I would not recommend these apps if they didn’t work.  

I have used both, and in my work, DXFer does what I need.  All parts collected into one Dxf file.  

Close Fusion, open the Cutter software and I manipulate that output for best fit, and orientation in my post processing.

Before DXFer, I copy / pasted each sketch, to a Master Sketch, used the Move Tool for best fit.

I don’t use the Drawings section in Fusion, Never, So didn’t mention it, but I think this area is what you are asking for, a desktop printed page with layout and full size dimensions.  

Sorry, can’t take you further.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Well, first I wasnt accusing you of anything, or being hostile in any way. Just want to make sure you didnt come off offended in your last comment.

Is dxfer a paid program? I'm just a hobbyist so I couldnt see paying for an extensive tool. So what you do is just use the sketches for the cut layouts? how would something like that work when the skethc is just a side profile that ends up getting extruded out? I dont see how that could accurately determine sizes for finished pieces.

Again, and example would be helpful.. Also I attached the file to futher demonstrate what I'm trying to do specifically, it might help to open it.

Message 6 of 8
davebYYPCU

I checked the file, 

you have 4 individual parts, the rest copies.

You can't print anything directly out of Fusion to paper, as far as I know,

there will be secondary software hardware involved.

If you don't need the piece of paper, 

then I would use Nester. its a free GitHub Addin.  search tapnir/Nester. 

(but it is no longer installed here, and there is a demo video on YouTube.)

It will extract components to a material board with planar joints.  You can reposition for grain and layout easily, 

DXFer is also a free Addin, off GitHub.  You need a DXF file handling capability for it.

In your case I would create the master sketch, with your 4 rectangles, (copy / paste)

Shlf1a.PNG

copy, side and inclined shelf, (Altered for true length)

pattern the other 5 shelves. 

Shlf1b.PNG

Use the Move tool in Sketch to position them.

Shlf1c.PNG

This is best fit but grain direction not considered till having the last inclined shelf not fit the plate.....

Might help....

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

This is a cool idea. I have a couple more questions about it though.

When you create the new component, and just copy all of the sketches to the plywood sketch, how did you do the angled shelves? Did you just have to copy that component out, rotate it flat then measure the actual dimensions of the shelf? 

And lastly, I think I really like this sketch layout approach. It seems much more simple and the nester program. Am I able to place text on the sketches to label, or even color the sketches to separate visually the different sized pieces?

Message 8 of 8
davebYYPCU

The angled shelf - nothing done in a manipulating way, creating a new sketch on the face of it will not work with out the projection of the long edge,

no, just made a copy of the std shelf and changed the width by deleting the fx dimension, adding the correct value.

I add a perpendicular construction line from top front of the shelf to the underside.  Measured the True Width, and then changed the width dimension in the plywood sketch to that value.  There are parametric ways to do it.

Simpler than the Addin, Nester, not really.  Did you find the slatted chair video?

I would not like to do any more unique parts this manual way.  (Three and a half)

Visualisation -  in a dxf handler, software dependant, mine does.

In Fusion, not easily,

you can add text, colours never noticed.

yes you could make a sketch for each individual, being overlayed, playing with light bulbs would then show them, or not.  Step up the Timeline would work too, 

Might help...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report