Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom threads xml generator

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
thomas.landahl
2848 Views, 14 Replies

Custom threads xml generator

Hi!

I made a little tool to make custom trapezoidal threads. Or rather - it generates an XML-file that you can copy to "threaddata" folder in Fusion and use the "make thread" tool. When 3D printing we try to avoid overhangs > 45 degrees, but almost all standard threads has more than that. Metric for instance has 60 degrees overhang which tends to curl and make a too tight fit. So now you can make threads with 45 degree overhang (90 degrees included angle in the program) and choose your own custom clearance according to your printer's accuracy.

I attach a zip containing a windows .exe file. I provide C# source code if you are worried about malware.

I did'n bother to make any error checking and stuff, so you have to put in valid numbers with decimal separator according to your location etc. (only "," and "." should work)

threads app.jpg

Hope you like it!

Labels (3)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Fixed some bugs. Here is a better version 🙂

Message 3 of 15

Nice tool. Thanks.

Message 4 of 15
phil
in reply to: thomas.landahl

Just what I needed. Many thanks for having taken the time to publish your excellent tool!

Message 5 of 15
thomas.landahl
in reply to: phil

Cool, I'm amazed you found it here LOL. Thanks for commenting

Message 6 of 15

Dou you have the source code of this version aswell? 

Message 7 of 15

I’m searching…

Message 8 of 15

Yay, I found it on one of my laptops. Attached the source code

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

Hello, and thank you for this very nice little software.

Is it possible to make threads with several entries. As for example the trapezoidal threaded rods of 3D printers like the Ender 3 which has 4 inputs, a pitch of 8 for the 4 threads or pitch of 2 between each.

For the moment I have only found tutorials with the use of a spring (COIL) and therefore do it manually with a 90 ° offset each time for the 4 entries.

Thank you

Message 10 of 15
etfrench
in reply to: Anonymous

This thread shows how I create multi-start trapezoidal threads for 3d printing. 

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 11 of 15
thomas.landahl
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi there!

Until there is a thread tool that can make more than one coil, it will not be possible by this tool. But @etfrench posted a manual workaround that appears easier than using the coil tool.

The main purpose of this tool is to play with angles and clearances of existing threads. Should be possible to add support for other types than iso threads. I may look into it when I have nothing else to do.

Cheers

Message 12 of 15

This version tries to find the correct folder to save to so you don't have to search for it.

Message 13 of 15
phil

Thank you so much for your work. It's much appreciated!

Message 14 of 15

just added sanity-check to avoid negative diameter.

Message 15 of 15

This is a life-saver. Thank you very much!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report