Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a custom parts library - operative word is parts

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
3580 Views, 3 Replies

Creating a custom parts library - operative word is parts

I do not want to create a tools library. I want to create a reusable parts library.

I have a collection of STEP files from OpenBuilds. This collection has all or mostly all of their available components. In this particular case, I am trying to piece together a "machine" and visualize the final build before creating a parts shopping list.

I would like to have a sidebar or something that lists ALL of the parts from which I can choose the piece I want to import into my workspace / drawing. Think "stencils" from the likes of Visio - a pre-defined object I can drop into my drawing without embedding the entire stencil library. 

I have scoured the Google-tron for an answer to this but all I find are directions for creating a Tools library. Am I misunderstanding something? Is a parts library not possible?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
TrippyLighting
in reply to: Anonymous

You can place all those parts into a folder in the data panel and call it parts library. From there you can insert them into your design's.

A "real" library function is unfortunately not available.

Maybe this plugin can help.

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Ick. Far from ideal but a doodler's gotta do what a doodler's gotta do. Does anyone have an explanation why there isn't a library utility like this built in? Seems like a no brainer considering all the other tools that Autodesk have built in the past.

Anyway, thanks for the tip.

Message 4 of 4
chrisplyler
in reply to: Anonymous

Um... I guess because creating a "Library" folder in the data panel, maybe with some sub-folders for organization purposes, basically can serve the same purpose?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report