Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

copy / paste new not affected by roll back history and update original component

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
850 Views, 14 Replies

copy / paste new not affected by roll back history and update original component

Sequence of operations :

Copy component 1 , Paste new to create component 2 , roll back history to before copy , update component 1 ( sketch and holes ) , move history back to end.

Component 2 is not updated.   Why not ?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
HughesTooling
in reply to: Anonymous

Paste New creates a new totally independent copy with no history back to the original. What you're seeing is by design.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: HughesTooling

How do I get an independently movable copy of a component with history ?
Message 4 of 15
etfrench
in reply to: HughesTooling

That doesn't add up.  When you roll the timeline earlier than when the copy was made, the copy should have any edits made to the original.  That's the whole purpose of the timeline.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 5 of 15
TrippyLighting
in reply to: etfrench

@etfrench wrote:

That doesn't add up.  When you roll the timeline earlier than when the copy was made, the copy should have any edits made to the original.  That's the whole purpose of the timeline.

A copy/paste-new component is truly independent.

EESignature

Message 6 of 15
jeff_strater
in reply to: etfrench

Paste New is not a feature, it is an operation.  When you Paste New, there is not a Paste New feature in the timeline, the features that contribute to that component are just copied into the timeline.  

Before:Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 2.15.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 2.15.22 PM.png

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 7 of 15
jhackney1972

@Anonymous wrote:
How do I get an independently movable copy of a component with history ?

You can get a MOVEABLE, as in drag around the screen,  copy of a component with history simply by selecting a component in the Browser and select Copy and the Paste it into the assembly.  It will update to match an changes in the original component and you can move it anywhere you desire.

John Hackney, Retired
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: jhackney1972

That is what I expected but when I copied and pasted an assembly of two
joined components , one of them did not move correctly.
Message 9 of 15
HughesTooling

When you copy a component with joints then paste new joints referencing other components are converted into capture positions. Personally would like to keep the joints and if they lose reference just show a warning but unfortunately doesn't work like that.

Here's an example where the first joint references the main component, after paste new the joint is converted into a capture position. The second joint is between the 2 components in the subassembly and is maintained after the paste new.

HughesTooling_0-1628670074261.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 10 of 15
TrippyLighting

Share your model and I’ll tell your what the problem is. 
Export as a .f3d file and attach to next post.

EESignature

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

I started again using a different sequence of operations and got copy / paste to operate as expected.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: TrippyLighting

I understand that copy/paste new is independent. But it should take a copy of the component at a specific time in the timeline. When you roll back beyond this point and change the original component, the copy command should than see the changed component and copy that. It also generates a base feature.
Why does it take the status of the component at the time "copy/paste new" was executed and not the status it has according to the timeline?

Copy/paste new is somewhat usable. But when you recognize an error in the base component on which the copy is based and you have already done a lot of work, you are screwed. Because a simple changeof the base component in the timeline before the copy/paste new is intended does not follow into the new component.

Message 13 of 15
jhackney1972

I accomplish your workflow you described in your post, I suggest you change your workflow.  In the Screencast I demonstrate using the Boundary Fill command instead of the Copy/Paste New command sequence.  This method will allow you to move your timeline back, add features to the original and then have them propagate to the copied (boundary filled) component when you drag the timeline back.

John Hackney, Retired

EESignature

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: jhackney1972

Hej John,

Thank you for that great and helpful post, appreciate! From looking at your screencast, this does exactly what I wanted. I will give it a try tomorrow, as it is already 20:00 o'clock in Austria.

I will let you know if that workflow does the job.

Thank you!

Kind regards, Norbert

Message 15 of 15
jlarsonLP454

Wish I had realized this before I spent a day working on the "paste new" part. It's very unintuitive that Paste New creates a dumb solid rather than taking the history into account. To anyone at Fusion reading this, I'd propose a UI change to fix this:

There should be three paste options:

• Paste (with some helpful hover text to explain this creates a dependent copy of the part, what my previous CAD called a "Share")
  • Paste as Base Feature (with text, "WARNING - ALL HISTORY AND PREVIOUS ASSOCIATIVITY WILL BE LOST!")
  • Paste a Divergent/Derived copy (with explanation to the effect that all history is captured up to this point but changes to the new part moving forward will not affect the old) - this would behave exactly as John demo'd in his video using the Boundary Fill command.

Those names and explanations need a bit of cleanup, but this would be very helpful.

John, thank you for the video showing the workaround. I'll be using that a lot.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report