Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert Surface Model to Solid for 3d printing

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
14iharvey
307 Views, 7 Replies

Convert Surface Model to Solid for 3d printing

I could use some help with converting the attached surface model into a solid. I have never messed with surfaces before and am having trouble figuring it out, even with searching how. 

Ideally I need this to be a filled solid model, with all the gaps in the surfaces filled. I am needing the overall shape of the part to do a few edits to and then 3d print. Trying to use the ergonomics of the shape. I also do not need the lettering on the side. 

Any suggestions on the steps to take for me to do this would be greatly appreciated. 

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
TrippyLighting
in reply to: 14iharvey

The stitch command shows you where you have open edges in red that cannot be stitched.

So this isn't a simple conversion, it will require modeling to do so.

the question then is what you want to fill these opening with?

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
14iharvey
in reply to: TrippyLighting

I just want it to be filled solid. Instead of a hollow shell, I want it to be one solid component. My next thought was to dig more into meshing.. my though behind that being if I cast a net over the object it would take on its overall shape from which I could then simply fill the inside.

Message 4 of 8
TrippyLighting

Try this one:

TrippyLighting_0-1665259733500.pngTrippyLighting_1-1665259755538.png

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
14iharvey

That's perfect! Thank you. Would you mind listing the major steps you took to do it? 

Message 6 of 8
TrippyLighting

I used another CAD package that has a better untrim function and more mature surfacing tools 😉

I might be able to do this in Fusion 360, but it'll take 2-3 times as long to do.

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
14iharvey

Ah, fair enough lol. That's again for the help. Greatly appreciate it. 

Message 8 of 8
TrippyLighting

I have attached a model with a workflow in Fusion 360.

TrippyLighting_0-1665275509878.png

I basically trimmed the section with the opening out and re-lofted it. Perfectly for what you want to do, but a hackish workaround that also needed a second workaround to get past a nonsensical error message.

@jeff_strater If you are interested I am very happy to enlighten you why the un-trim tool needs to have the ability to un-trim individual edges. It is absolutely essential for this model!

It was also essential for the other model I share on the EE Slack Channel, for the exact same reason.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report