Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constraint workflow

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
300 Views, 4 Replies

Constraint workflow

I have a fundamental question concerning constraints.  Should all possible constraints be identified while still creating a sketch? If you create a component, sketch, body and the constrain that sketch how do you constrain the the first component to any subsequent component that you may create?. As an example i have created a cabinet with a left panel sketch and extruded it . I then create a second assembly (top) and extrude it. Both assemblies are independent and will stay together. I assume a collinear constraint would be required here. 

Should i have created just sketches first, constrained them, then extruded them?

Thanks for your help

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
davebYYPCU
in reply to: Anonymous

Your terms are confusing.

Component > Sketch > Body.  (Rule No 1)

Component is free to move until you prevent it. (Click Drag > Revert)

New Component > Sketch > Body. 

Now both Components are free to move until you prevent it.

Constraining Components is done with tools in the Assemble Menu, Joints or Rigid Group, or 

Grounding is in the Right Click Menu for the Component.

Might help....

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

So your saying that once a sketch is extruded as a body then made into a component that component should be "constrained" to other components by Joins. Constraints are then a function of the sketching process and not of the component relationships?

My model is based on several user parameters. By joining components will the model react correctly if a parameter (cabinet width) is changed?

I did ground the left cabinet panel to the origin primarily to keep it centered.

FYI, I miss represented the design process in my original question - i am aware of rule #1

Thanks for your advice

Message 4 of 5
g-andresen

Hi,

@Anonymous wrote:

So your saying that once a sketch is extruded as a body then made into a component that component should be "constrained" to other components by Joins. Constraints are then a function of the sketching process and not of the component relationships?

Yes

My model is based on several user parameters. By joining components will the model react correctly if a parameter (cabinet width) is changed?

Yes

Günther 

Message 5 of 5
davebYYPCU

So you say 

Once a sketch is extruded as a body then made into a component (Sketch is not in the Component)

and

I am aware of rule #1  (Sketch is in the Component)

Sketch Constraints only work in Sketches.

Joints only work on Components.

changing parameters? Which ones?

Will need your file to work out what you need in it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report