Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting two bodies and cutting

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
715 Views, 9 Replies

Connecting two bodies and cutting

I have sketched three line segments that are coincident at two points, and used the fillet command at the points of coincidence and at the endpoints.  I used the sweep command to create a rod; that is, I sketched a circle perpendicular to the path formed by the segments and "swept".  The circle/OD of the rod is 7 mm.

I created another body that looks like a tab.  One face of it is a rectangle 7 mm long by 2.54 mm wide.  I moved this body to the end of the rod so that the 7 mm face touches the 7 mm diameter of the rod (center point to center point).  See the screenshot.

I'd like to "cut" the rod, flatten it, so that the tab and the rod are flush.  If I describe the tab as having 2 (large) faces and 4 edge-faces, then I want to flatten or cut the rod so that it is flush with one of the two (large) faces.  On the opposite face of the tab, I want the rod to round down to it like a fillet I guess.

The edge-faces of the tab I'd like to "round" to the same diameter as the rod so that it meets the rod perfectly.

The tab and rod I'm trying to make one piece if that makes sense.

I've tried creating planes and the sweeping those planes with "cut" selected but nothing happens.

Any suggestions?

Tags (3)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
etfrench
in reply to: Anonymous

Like this?

Strut.jpg

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: etfrench

Very close.  For one the edge-faces, yes.  In my picture there are three edge-faces showing (and one facing/touching the rod).  The three exposed edge-faces should be rounded exactly like you have in your pic, but your pic only shows two edge-faces rounded (the outside one is still perpendicular to the faces of the tab.

For the faces either side of the ones in your pic will suffice:  either the rod sloped down to the tab or else the rod rounded to the tab.  How did you do that?

But one of the faces of the tab needs to effectively continue and cut the rod so the rod gets flush with it.

Message 4 of 10
etfrench

The straight side is just a two direction chamfer.  The rounded side is just a fillet.

Mark up your image with a red pen to show which faces need to do what.  It would also help if you attach your file to the thread: File|Export|Archive file *.f3d.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Attached are some attempts to convey what I want.  Attached is the f3d too.

The fillet command isn't working.  It may be because it's not seeing the two bodies as one.

Message 6 of 10
etfrench

Fillet only works on single bodies, so you need to join them first.

Is this what you wanted to do:

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
chrisplyler

Alternatives to @etfrench's methods....

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

That looks perfect.  I used the techniques to duplicate the results on the other side.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: chrisplyler

Beautiful.  That works too.  I see how it is a few steps more efficient.

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

I added a tapped hole to each tab, and now I'm ready to have it made in aluminum.  I believe I need to convert this to a 2D drawing now.  New thread I guess.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report