Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Components with many patterns

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
studentodortool
2382 Views, 14 Replies

Components with many patterns

I will start by saying that I am a big fan of Fusion. I have been working a lot with it recently and I like the rendering/modeling and PDM system everything together.

So far I have always been able to make everything but this week I stumbled upon a problem. I had to make a large pattern of honeycomb structure and work with several other types of grating. 

What I found out is that working with these patterns makes fusion incredibly slow. I can’t remember how many times it crashed or that I had to wait very long. I tried making patterns in the sketch, making patterns of features, making patterns of components. I am working on a MBP 15"

Can someone please help me how to make those kind of patterns the most efficient way and how to boost Fusion? Also is it maybe possible that Fusion itself can be improved handling those kind of structures? I can remember that SW could handle this better.

I included a few screenshots of what I am trying to do and what happens.

Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Hi,

I wanna start by asking what exactly do you want to do with such a pattern? I noticed the name of the file as Top Floor

And using the pattern feature in the sketch environment is not as efficient as the pattern in the model environment, but all of this depends on what you're trying to achieve after all

Now, about Fusion slowing down, this can't be avoided when there are too much things to calculate, but I might have something in mind that can make the process a bit easier if you could answer my previous question about what you're trying to achieve

Regards

Message 3 of 15

Hi,

Thanks for your response!

I am modelling a grating to use for a floor. In the attachment of my previous post the pattern is more complex but basically I am modelling a square grating to walk upon. 

The size needs to be 3,6 m as diameter

I included two attachments. The first shows the application and the second the pattern. How would you model this in fusion?

Again thanks for your help! 
Message 4 of 15

When modeling these tings, is this for actual manufacturing, or for visual appearance ?

If it is for manufacturing in that case you really might want to model geometry. If it is for visualappearence you could consider applying a texture to "fake" the look of a "real" grate.

In genereal, for this sort of thing, as @SaeedHamza has already suggested, don't pattern in the sketch environment, pattern solid bodies. This applies to most CAD systems, not just Fusion 360.

EESignature

Message 5 of 15
etfrench
in reply to: studentodortool

You can improve performance by setting the sketch geometry to fixed using the Fix/Unfix command and for components use the Ground command.  Fusion 360 doesn't have to compute the positions when these properties are set.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 6 of 15

Yes, as Peter said, if this is for presentation purposes, then just use a material with the desired pattern in it's settings

Regards

Message 7 of 15

Thanks for your responses

@TrippyLighting The pattern will be for manufacturing so I need to model it and run it through simulation for a strength analysis. 

What would be the best way to pattern? bodies / features / faces?

@etfrench I will take this into account!

Thanks again

Message 8 of 15

Feature is the best thing to use for sure

Message 9 of 15
g-andresen
in reply to: SaeedHamza

Hi,

To this topic I have tested 2 procedures with 200 elements.

1. patterns with face
  2. patterns with feature

The result was:

1. 4 s
  1. 55 s

Here ist the screencast and a screenshot shown with 2.too many.png

günther
Message 10 of 15

@g-andresen thanks, this will save me a lot of time!

Message 11 of 15

Good luck on running a stress simulation on such a pattern 😉

EESignature

Message 12 of 15

@TrippyLighting: Is there a better way to do it?

Message 13 of 15

To do  what ?

1. Creating a pattern ?

2. Running a stress analysis on such pattered geometry ?

EESignature

Message 14 of 15

@TrippyLighting: Less processing intensiv patterns. So - both?

Message 15 of 15

For paterning geometry, as discuss it is more efficient to pattern features.

I would not do stress analysis on such a pattern. For Fem geometry has first to be meshed, and that can be a challenge with such patterned geometry.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report