Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combine Faces?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
TOwens777
4245 Views, 7 Replies

Combine Faces?

I still need to resolve this issue.  Help please!

I combined two bodies (a solid body and a t-spline.)  The result is one solid body but it still retains the faces from the original bodies.

The problem is when I go to create toolpaths to cut the body pockets it is following the contour of the original faces.  See attached.

How can I combine these faces? 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
vex
Collaborator
in reply to: TOwens777

This may or may not work as it's a work flow that I normally use with Inventor:

Delete the two offending faces.

Patch the now large single area and stich boundaries.

Should have a single face.

My first attempt at a screencast:
http://autode.sk/1GdJuEE

Message 3 of 8
TOwens777
in reply to: vex

That worked.  Unfortunately, it caused some other unwanted changes in my body so I'm going to have to live with it the way it was. I think I found a work around on the toolpath issue so I think I'm good.  I will definitely use this for my redesign.  Thanks!!!

Message 4 of 8
TOwens777

Ok, I'm back to the drawing board on this.  That didn't work after all.   I am attempting to machine the slot for the single coil pickup but it the outline intersects with one of the left over faces from when I combined bodies. (See pic 1)   So, I can't select it as a contour which is the only way to machine this pocket that I'm aware of.  Per the instructions above I am attempting to delete the two faces and recreate.  When I delete the two faces the outlines still remains (see pic 2.)  Is there anyway to fix this?  If so, can I do so without destroying the pockets I have already created?

Thanks!!!

Tim

Message 5 of 8
vex
Collaborator

Hmmm, it's a little hard to see what's going on in those screenshots.
Any way of sharing the f3d file?

If not, maybe a closer view would help. It looks like there's a discontinuity that is being handled by a 90deg corner for some reason...
Message 6 of 8
TOwens777

I can't share the file but here's a close up pic.  I initally had a solid model with the pockets recessed.  I created a t-spline outline with the organic shapes and combined them.  The outline from the original solid model it the issue.  It interests with my pocket.

Message 7 of 8
vex
Collaborator

Yeah... That's my conclusion as well. I would suggest shrinking or moving the pocket away from that edge. That should clean up your issue. Alternatively you could build the model the other-way around. Do your organic shape first, then cut the groove. This should fix the issue, but might be more work than you're willing to do to fix it. I wish I could help you more, but it's sort of a guessing game on my part unless I can see what the geometry is doing (orbit, panning, zooming, adjusting, etc).
Message 8 of 8
TOwens777

I agree.  It is totally a design issue.  I'm going to hack my way through this and redesign for my next cut.   Thanks!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report