Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chamfer/Fillet Issues

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
jtwographics
613 Views, 3 Replies

Chamfer/Fillet Issues

I've been trying to solve some issues with fillets and chamfers and while I have solved several problems I still have just one issue I can't iron out.

First problem that I solved was reading several posts about how DXF files imported from Illustrator were problematic (despite having used Illustrator & AutoCAD for over a decade and being very precise with my drawings), I redrew the profile as a sketch in Fusion.

Other problems I solved were by coming at the process another way to keep fillets and chamfers on outside corners rather than inside corners. (Most of the errors happened on inside corners)

But this last error has to be from the sketch profile and I just can't figure out what's wrong with it.  I am attaching a screen capture to show specifically which edge is the problem, and the .f3d file for anyone to look at.

Thanks very much for any suggestions/assistance 
Lee

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jhackney1972
in reply to: jtwographics

You will always have issues with very tight inside corners when you try and chamfer an edge.  This is due to the chamfer overlap.  This is especially true in the area in my screen capture shown below.  To allow the chamfer to be applied to the complete outside edge, I added some very small fillets to these inside corners, much more to the one marked, to allow the chamfer to succeed.   Model is attached.

Too Tight.jpg

John Hackney, Retired
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
jtwographics
in reply to: jhackney1972

John,

Thank you for that suggestion, I will keep it in mind for the future.  However, when I apply the exact same process to my existing file, it doesn't work.

I have been sketching and re-sketching this profile all night last night and all morning today.  I've drawn it with 3 point arcs, control point splines, fit point splines, and finally a tangent arc.  I achieved some success with the control point and fit point splines but the tangent arc solved it the fastest and easiest, which leads me to believe the underlying issue was a tangency problem with the two arcs on either side of the spline point indicated by the green arrow.

I had seen some older threads about problems with profiles coming in via DXF from Illustrator, but after this experience I think that Fusion has far stricter tolerances for tangents between curves.  I am sure that's for accurate machining, but it would be helpful if there was some way to validate the underlying sketch.  Do you know of any tool that would help with this?

Thanks,
Lee

chamfererror.jpg

Message 4 of 4
jtwographics
in reply to: jtwographics

Strike that, your procedure did work on my model - I was applying too large a chamfer distance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report