Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot seem to figure out why I cant turn this 3d sketch into a Solid model.

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
david_william1
906 Views, 15 Replies

Cannot seem to figure out why I cant turn this 3d sketch into a Solid model.

This is a box that I am working on that will house an accessory switch to fit in a glove box.  I am pretty new to fusion and really new to doing sketches.  Normally I start with a 3d object and mod it to fit my needs.  This one has a taper and radius to it so I decided to 3d sketch it first and now I am trying to get it turned into a solid model so I can test print it to see if the dimensions are going to work.  Do yall have any suggestions.  I have tried both extrude and loft and neither are doing the trick.  Loft gives an error and extruding wont follow the radius or contour.  Im sure it just me but can yall please help?

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

A 3D sketch does not reside on the same sketch plane so it you cannot use Solid Modeling commands such as Extrude, Revolve, etc. on it.  One way of developing it into a solid body is through the use of surfaces.  Add surfaces to all faces and then if they all joint together, depends on your sketching ability, then you can them Stitch them together into a Solid.  Yours works fine and your solid model is attached.

Edit: If you cannot figure out what I did using the timeline, let me know.

Solid.jpg

John Hackney, Retired
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 16

Dude your awesome.  Ok so if you have time can you walk me through exactly what you did.  Im all self taught with this and dont get the everyday practice I need.  I messed with this thing for a couple hours and you did it it 3 minutes..haha.  How did you add the surfaces?  Thanks

Edit...Let me look at the timeline first.  I just read that part.  Sorry for the quick reply I just got excited...

Message 4 of 16

The video will show my method.  There may be other methods but this is the first one that came to mind.  I also added the process to make it hollow with a specific wall thickness.

Do not forget to select the "Accept Solution" icon if my post solved your issue.

John Hackney, Retired
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 16

Ok I understand how you patched the sections, but there is a few that I cannot select such as the radiused area and the very top.  I can get everything else to work but it leaves those out.  How did you select those?  Does this make since?

Message 6 of 16

Check the video.

John Hackney, Retired

EESignature

Message 7 of 16

Your video solved this for me.  Thank you so much for your help.  You are awesome!!!

Message 8 of 16
davebYYPCU
in reply to: david_william1

We don't recommend all that work for a 3d sketch, when two 2d sketches would get you there.

Even with the 3d sketch, 

optdt.PNG

Patch the open end, and solid loft both profiles.  Much simpler to understand.

swe3ds.PNG

Might help.....

Message 9 of 16

@jhackney1972 so on this same model how do you go about filleting the edges.  I need to fillet the vertical edges on the tall side if that makes since.  Thanks

Message 10 of 16
david_william1
in reply to: davebYYPCU

@davebYYPCU Thanks for the reply.  I understand what you mean here.  That would have really simplified things.  I will go make another one for practice and try this method.  I asked @jhackney1972 as well on how to fillet the edges of my 3d sketch that was patched.  Its not working for me and Im not sure what the deal is.  Thanks

Message 11 of 16

@david_william1 wrote:

….how to fillet the edges of my 3d sketch that was patched.  Its not working for me and Im not sure what the deal is.  Thanks

@david_william1 
The usual practice is to Fillet solid or surface body in preference over attempting to Fillet in sketch (especially 3D sketch).

In any case, you should attach your latest file here.

TheCADWhisperer_1-1682213728033.png

I recommend that you get lazy.  Let Fusion do the work.  See attached.

Message 12 of 16
jhackney1972
in reply to: davebYYPCU

I said my method was one way of doing it, quite picking on me!

John Hackney, Retired

EESignature

Message 13 of 16
davebYYPCU

@jhackney1972 Edited.  Weren't you the one that said your happy to see other methods?

@david_william1 Solid Fillet, but what size?, doesn't matter is always adjustable.

Loft is not the easiest tool to use, so figured a Sweep and Split Body will get there as a simple method.

swe3ds2.PNGswe3ds3.PNG

Might help......

Message 14 of 16

@davebYYPCU @jhackney1972 @TheCADWhisperer   

So I just want like a .25 rolling ball constant radius.  Just something to take the sharp edge off.  Where you did it is where I want it.  I have attached my latest model.  

I just dont know why when I click on the line it doesnt give me the option to do the fillet there.  Im sure im missing a step.  Thank yall for the help I like seeing all the different methods.  I have used fillet on many solid object projects but to be honest this is the first sketch I have messed with.  I think Im going to like it I just need more practice.

Message 15 of 16
davebYYPCU

Your model is at the stage it needs to be Modify > Stitch, to make it a solid.

When it is a solid, the solid fillet is straight forward.

Might help....

Message 16 of 16

Thats what I was missing.  Something so simple, yet if you dont know about it you will pull your hair out!!!

Big thanks @davebYYPCU @jhackney1972 @TheCADWhisperer Yall are awesome!  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report