Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you move/mirror/copy a component but change the dimensions used to generatie it?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
infoZGST4
299 Views, 5 Replies

Can you move/mirror/copy a component but change the dimensions used to generatie it?

Hello everyone,

I am modeling this bathroom cabinet. It features drawers of different sizes. I used certain parameters and fixed dimensions from the drawer slides to make the drawers. But since the compartments they fit in are not the same I cannot do a simple copy and past. On the other hand, since the operation used to generate the design is the same for each drawer (offset & midplanes etc) it would make sense to automate it.

Does anyone have a tip on if this is possible?

I am trying to include a screencast, but last time it did not work. In that case I will also include a f3d file.

Many thanks in advance!

Lucas

https://autode.sk/32DgPI0

Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
g-andresen
in reply to: infoZGST4

Hi,

create the drawers separately with this parameters and insert them 

drawer width.png

günther

Message 3 of 6
infoZGST4

Oh wow that was so obvious. Can't believe I didn't think of that!

Thank you for showing me the way 😉

Message 4 of 6
infoZGST4
in reply to: g-andresen

Now i'm thinking this through and I still have a question:

Do I create one drawer first with this parameter "Drawer width" and then copy the drawer and change the parameter? That does not seem like it would work.

Also, the "Width" on your image is not a parameter in this model but more like a concequence of other parameters. How would you start to define this measurement as width?

I guess on second thought I'm not entirely sure how you would do what you suggest. Would you mind elaborating a little?

Message 5 of 6
g-andresen

Hi,

take a  look at Master Parameters

günther

Message 6 of 6
infoZGST4

But if I understand it correctly in the case of this video you would reuse the parameters and their definitions; the geometry you would have to create new. You still would have to sketch and extrude all the parts of the drawers etc.

Is there a way to copy the existing geometry and give it other dimension within the constraints without having to draw it again?

*** Just tried to create a master component with the parameters, model a drawer using these parameters, insert this model into another file and break the link. My idea was that you could change the parameters indepentely then, but this isn't the case. ***

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report