Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Thicken Outsole Of Shoe

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
mrabushka
421 Views, 8 Replies

Can't Thicken Outsole Of Shoe

I'm trying to create the outsole of a shoe.  I created a 0mm offset of the entire shoe (Body 96) then created an offset of the very bottom of the shoe up 10mm (Body 97) and used Body 97 to cut Body 96 to remove the upper part of the shoe; thus leaving a shell to thicken to create the outsole.

mrabushka_0-1722109852815.pngmrabushka_1-1722109895365.png

When I try to thicken the shell 0.87mm I get an error:

mrabushka_2-1722110037503.pngmrabushka_3-1722110112265.png

Does anyone know why I'm getting this error and how to fix it?  The f3d is attached.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
TrippyLighting
in reply to: mrabushka

I would start my investigation with the T-Spline. In the heal area, for example you removed edges, which makes that area easier to edit, but you left unnecessary N-Gons:

TrippyLighting_0-1722161330458.png

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
mrabushka
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Thanks @TrippyLighting !  I resolved most of the N-gons as shown below, but I'm wondering what's the best way to resolve the last one circled in red below?

mrabushka_0-1722221368005.png

Should I just add a subdivision as shown circled in blue below or is there a better strategy?

mrabushka_1-1722221453610.png

Message 4 of 9
TrippyLighting

Nope! Now you still have N-Gons and triangles. I'll create a screencast later ...

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
TrippyLighting

Here is a screencast explaining two possible approaches. 

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
mrabushka

@TrippyLighting thank you, the screencast is awesome!  I think I followed your instructions and recommendations.  Please advise why I cannot offset the bottom of the shoe:

mrabushka_1-1722389550525.png

mrabushka_0-1722389522374.png

Message 7 of 9
TrippyLighting

I downloaded your model and don't see any problems offsetting the bottom of the shoe, either from the surface model, or from the thickened solid.

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
mrabushka

@TrippyLighting thank you!  I restarted Fusion 360 and now offset is working properly from the surface.  I'm not sure what the hang up was yesterday.  Thank you very much for explaining how to better model my shoe with t-splines.  Your information is a game changer.

Message 9 of 9
mrabushka

@TrippyLighting your screencast is golden.  I used it again to fix another shoe.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report