Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't select desired sketch objects to extrude. "Overlapping" objects get selected instead

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
davethomaspilot9V8SL
1316 Views, 25 Replies

Can't select desired sketch objects to extrude. "Overlapping" objects get selected instead

I can't figure out how to select the sketch objects I want to extrude--other overlapping features get selected instead.  I'm wanting to extrude the rectangles to make ridges inside the pipe clamp:

f360.gif

I actually extruded them without issue once, but lost them for some reason as I made paramters functions of other parameters.  Don't really understand why, but really don't care if I can just get them back.

I've tried playing with selection filters and priority, but haven't found anything that will let me select the rectangles.

25 REPLIES 25
Message 21 of 26

The rectangles were created using circular pattern copy.

As mentioned in the post above, the white circles were noted and indicated the shape wasn't closed.  But, just shutting down F360, re-opening, and editing the sketch (no change) made "solved" the issue.

I attached the design because I was requested to do so.  Now I'm more worried about other "flaky" behaviour as mentioned in subsequent posts.

Message 22 of 26

@davethomaspilot9V8SL wrote:

The rectangles were created using circular pattern copy.

It is almost always better to avoid sketch patterns and in most cases do Feature Patterns instead.

Keep your sketches simple (I recommend researching the BORN Technique and use as much as possible and PRACTICAL).

Open the Attached file...

TheCADWhisperer_0-1673448948343.png

Make the clamp the Active Component.

Edit Sketch1.

Attempt to drag the left vertical line of the dimensioned rectangle at bottom of sketch to the left.

@davethomaspilot9V8SL 

What do you observe?

Message 23 of 26

Here is what I observe...

TheCADWhisperer_0-1673449155121.png

The centerline is not constrained to the Origin (or center of circles).

The left endpoint is white and not constrained to the circle...

Unconstrained geometry should keep you awake at night.

@davethomaspilot9V8SL 

What do you observe about the color of the geometry if you add a Coincident constraint between the vertical centerline and the Origin (or centerpoint of the circles)?

Message 24 of 26

Yes, I see the sketch is not fully constrained and should be--I'll add that constraint.

But, would you expect the type of behaviour I saw would be a consequence of an unconstrained sketch?

Thanks!

Message 25 of 26

YES!

Message 26 of 26

Ok, I'm "on a mission" to fully constrain all my sketches.

Obviously, I'm a newbie in this.  How do I constrain something to be "on axis"?  Do I need to draw a construction line then make a point on the line/rect/circle coincident with it?

After getting this fixed up, I'm on to learning the BORN methodology.

Thanks again

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report