Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't select desired sketch objects to extrude. "Overlapping" objects get selected instead

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
davethomaspilot9V8SL
1217 Views, 25 Replies

Can't select desired sketch objects to extrude. "Overlapping" objects get selected instead

I can't figure out how to select the sketch objects I want to extrude--other overlapping features get selected instead.  I'm wanting to extrude the rectangles to make ridges inside the pipe clamp:

f360.gif

I actually extruded them without issue once, but lost them for some reason as I made paramters functions of other parameters.  Don't really understand why, but really don't care if I can just get them back.

I've tried playing with selection filters and priority, but haven't found anything that will let me select the rectangles.

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26

are the rectangles closed profiles? if not, they need to be closed first

are the rectangles in their own sketch? turn off the other sketches

you can also long left mouse click to bring up a list of elements under the cursor, which allows you to pick the one you want.

Message 3 of 26

Have you tried the "hover cursor over area, hold down left key and select from list" of everything under your cursor?

Left Click Hold.png

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 4 of 26

So, I guess the white circles on the rectangles mean they are not closed?  Why doesn't the circle they are drawn on close them?

Do I need to draw an arc separately, then do the circular pattern copy?  I did not have to do that the first time.

Message 5 of 26

Left key?

Left arrow?  Left shift?  Neither of those resulted in a list to pick selection.

Message 6 of 26

@davethomaspilot9V8SL wrote:

So, I guess the white circles on the rectangles mean they are not closed?  Why doesn't the circle they are drawn on close them?

Do I need to draw an arc separately, then do the circular pattern copy?  I did not have to do that the first time.

is the circle that the rectangle is drawn to in the same sketch? if not you can just project it into the sketch (and edge is not a sketch element, you would need to project that in.

probably better to just draw one rectangle, create your feature (extrude, cut, what ever) and pattern that feature.

Message 7 of 26

Left key?

Left arrow?  Left shift?  Neither of those resulted in a list to pick selection.

left mouse button

Message 8 of 26

I think you meant left mouse button.

Nice thing to know.  Thanks!  But, there was only one item in the presented list.

I think for some reason the rectangles have become "unclosed".  I'll try deleting and regenerating them.

Message 9 of 26

I was finally able to select them after closing and restarting F360.  

Then, I went to the timeline feature when the sketch was first created.  I could then easily select the rectangles for extrusion.

For some reason, an annular ring from the inner circles also got extruded.  I redid the selection several times to make sure I didn't make a mistake.  

Not sure what's going on with that either, but I just did an extrusion cut on that extruded annular ring and now I have what I want.

Message 10 of 26

Hi,

please share the file for investigation

File > export > save as f3d on local drive  > attach it to the next post.

günther

Message 11 of 26

I don't see that option under "File export".  Is f3z ok?

Message 12 of 26

I can export the component that owns the geometry as f3d.  But, I suspect you want the entire file?

Message 13 of 26

I can export the component that owns the geometry as f3d.  But, I suspect you want the entire file?

that's because you have external linked components. we can take a .f3z, but it is preferred  that you break the links so you can export as .f3d.  you can undo right after to get the model back to the linked state.

Message 14 of 26

When I try breaking the link a component (instanced 14 times), I get this error:

davethomaspilot9V8SL_0-1673377725854.png

So, still no f3d option.

Message 15 of 26

The .f3z is attached.

Message 16 of 26

The .f3z is attached.

don't see it

Message 17 of 26

Sorry, I guess I messed up the first time. 

I'm losing confidence about the integrity of the design file.

There's a component (EasyTube) with a RigidGroup that contains the clamp that I was having trouble with and three other components.   The components in the rigid group are selected using "Select Components" after right clicking on the RigidGroup.

davethomaspilot9V8SL_1-1673387470978.png

First strange thing--

I was able to join the clamp component to another component ("top section") and only that component moved.  If the clamp component was really part of a rigid group, all of the components should have moved along with the clamp component when the joint was done.

I thought maybe this was because I created the clamp component as a child to the "Easy Tube" component AFTER the other child components under EasyTube had been defined as a RigidGroup.   Maybe I need to fix that somehow to avoid confusing F360? 

Moving on, I then tried to move the rigid group, assuming it really didn't contain the clamp component.   I got different results on subsequent retries of what I think were attempts to move the same component.

Sometimes, the grounded component "T-bar" moved along with the rigid group and clamp moved with it.  After undoing and retrying I got everything but the clamp component to move while the T bar stayed but (what I really want).

Anyway, the design is getting bigger all the time.  If I'm going to have to start over, better sooner than later.

I can do a gif on that shows the unexpected behaviour of the rigid group and/or grounded component if the explanation above isn't clear.

Thanks!

davethomaspilot9V8SL_2-1673387803595.png

Message 18 of 26

And, things move back to prior positions after doing a Compute All.

What's going on with that?

Didn't revert after compute all. but did after trying to create a new sketch.  Sigh, I think it's hosed.

-- I guess I need to use "Capture Position" after doing the move?  Haven't been doing that (hasn't been needed).  When I check that box, Compute All doesn't cause the recently moved components to revert back to their prior position.

Message 19 of 26

They don't revert back after Compute All, but the DO revert after just trying to create a new sketch.

Message 20 of 26

White dots indicate missing Coincident Constraints.

I would use Circular Pattern of Features rather than duplication in sketch.

I haven’t looked at your actual file (yet) but it should be relatively simple to isolate this single component for the purpose of diagnosis rather than attaching the entire assembly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report