Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAM Manufacturing Full Simultaneous 4th Axis Rotary

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
ryansmith_
231 Views, 3 Replies

CAM Manufacturing Full Simultaneous 4th Axis Rotary

It would be great to have rotary 4th-axis toolpath programs (parallel or otherwise) that don't require the tool to only point at the center of rotation and allow the tool to be normal to or at a defined angle to the surface at the tool contact point. This would let the tool move across the rotary axis as needed when the machined surface isn't concentric with the axis. It would also prevent the tool from machining with the leading side of the tool on some slopes and the trailing side on opposite slopes. This leaves an inconsistent finish where the tool transitions from the front to back (or vice versa).

ryansmith__1-1707521798597.png

Labels (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
a.laasW8M6T
in reply to: ryansmith_

Hi

You can use other 3d toolpaths such as Geodesic, Steep and shallow, Blend and Flow to do this.

Geodesic is easy, you can set it to 4 axis mode and use lead and lean and it will machine normal to the surface or at whatever lead/lean value you want..

Steep and shallow and flow etc are a bit trickier to do, it's not very obvious how to get them to machine in 4 axis only but it is possible

See attached file, the 4 toolpaths at the end are ones I have added,  Geodesic is definitely the best option here

Message 3 of 4
ryansmith_
in reply to: a.laasW8M6T

This is awesome @a.laasW8M6T  ! I actually don't have the machining extension since I didn't find this out earlier and my trial ran out. So I can't see all of the settings but they seem to work and post fine. I also like the Steep and Shallow because it has consistent stepover and does it all in one pass. I think the post-processor or the setup would have to be changed to get the axes all correct.

Message 4 of 4
a.laasW8M6T
in reply to: ryansmith_

That example is for a lathe so the rotary axis is around Z, for a rotary around X like most mills the setup would be different and there are some additional toolpath settings to get them to work

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report