Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bug: selection tool only works on empty space in parametric mode (see video)

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
600 Views, 2 Replies

bug: selection tool only works on empty space in parametric mode (see video)

Hi. 

The selection tool does not do anything (that is window selection, free, or paint) unless I start by clicking on an empty space. 

See video https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=F56C7E45E370872B!62732&authkey=!AA9aySqizmorkDs&ithint=video%2...

This only happens in parametric environment. 
Fusion360 2.0.1774 (latest as of now) on Mac OS Yosemite.

Best, 

Filip

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jeff_strater
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

This is how Fusion is designed to work.  It really comes down to a design tradeoff we had to make.  Today, select and drag over an object is interpreted as a component drag.  This is needed in order to support assembly-level designs that include joints.  Once you have multiple components from joints, it then becomes very easy to see if your mechanism works as intended by just clicking and dragging on one of your components.  So, the drag gesture, when the mouse is over an object has been overridden to be component drag.  We can't support component drag and window/paint select that starts over an object.

We used to have an option to turn this off, but based on user feedback, it was confusing, and not really needed, so we backed it out.  If enough people feel that this option is useful, it would be relatively easy to put it back in.

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: jeff_strater

Thanks Jeff. 

couple of points:

1, I thought the option to only drag components with modifier key disappeared! I was looking for it. I'd LOVE for it to come back. 

2, Visual suggestion: I think it's fine that you default to selecting component over any smaller feature and I can see your reasoning (even though personally it's a big nuisance for me). 
However, I think it should still allow me to perform the selection and just default to select component. That way I can see that it's selecting (I can see the rectangle/lasso/etc.). If it does not do anything, it just looks like a bug. Unresponsive. 

3, Functional suggestion: I think one logical way to override the behavior would be to de-select components/bodies from the selection filters. In that case, I should be able to select anything else and bodies and components just be treated as canvas. As of now, not even that works  - which is what ultimately made me think it was a bug. 

The use case that I think is good to cover is: Huge body with many small features that you need to select one by one or by groups in order to a) move in direct editing mode b) delete them c) chamfer many edges (no rule chamfering is available) etc etc. 

Cheers!

~Filip

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report