Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug from 2017 still present - Can't extrude text

30 REPLIES 30
Message 1 of 31
tsenPFFLN
917 Views, 30 Replies

Bug from 2017 still present - Can't extrude text

It seems this bug has been present since 2017, when I search for a solution in the forums. 
I can't share the file as I am working on confidential material, but I can describe the issue. 
I have created a plane in an assembly and written one word with the font Soho Gothic Pro. in a height of 1,2025 mm. 
I cannot extrude the text. I tried to explode the text as I read in a thread should help, but then get the error "Could not retrieve the profiles of the selected text!" 
I need to extrude the text, but I'll now try with an .svg from illustrator outlines instead, but this makes the text module of fusion unusable and pointless for me.. I hope it get's prioritized and fixed soon! 🙂 

Labels (2)
30 REPLIES 30
Message 21 of 31
g-andresen
in reply to: tsenPFFLN

Hi,

@tsenPFFLN wrote:

again: 
I cannot share a sketch as svg, only DXF. Are you not able to recreate the error with the given information? image included of the options I get when I right click on a sketch. 

1. You wrote this:

but I'll now try with an .svg from illustrator outlines instead, but this makes the text module of fusion unusable and pointless for me.

The import of a SVG generates a new sketch or is inserted into an active sketch.
The SVG has no reference to the text editor but the content results (with closed contours) in a sketch with extrudable profiles.

2. I don't have this font and see no reason to install it just to answer a question.

günther

Message 22 of 31
HughesTooling

@tsenPFFLN wrote:

the one you linked is bold, I'm using the regular. Do you test it with the bold version or the regular? 🙂 

Took me a while to find a regular font and the one I found is an OTF font but same problem as you, doesn't work!

Again works fine in Rhino and gives nice clean curves and surfaces.

HughesTooling_0-1694000357917.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 23 of 31
tsenPFFLN
in reply to: g-andresen

I guess I'm not making myself clear, but I really don't understand what you are asking. (English is my second language, sorry). 
I cannot extrude the text from fusion. I instead imported an .svg of the same text from illustrator, to have it as outlines, and that works fine. I solved the problem by doing this, and achieved my needed result.
I just think it's a shame that this workaround is needed, as this seems to be one of the purposes of being able to write text directly in Fusion. 

Does that make more sense? 

Message 24 of 31
tsenPFFLN
in reply to: HughesTooling

Thanks for trying this out and confirming the issue!
Message 25 of 31

@TheCADWhisperer wrote:

@tsenPFFLN wrote:

I cannot disclose the details of what I am working on, but the letters are exmoFlD

Make up dummy file that exhibits the behavior and attach the dummy file here.

If you can’t reproduce this behavior in a dummy file, how are others supposed to reproduce the issue?

Without the font file Fusion will default to Arial. @TheCADWhisperer have you got the Soho Gothic Pro font installed?

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 26 of 31
g-andresen

Hi,

Fonts are primarily created for graphics applications where no extrusion (in Z) is needed.
Therefore, it is not noticeable when the contours overlap or cross.
With extrusions, however, such "errors" can lead to problems with extrusions.
I asked the question about the SVG because I wanted to get an idea of the contour progression and possible problem areas.

günther

Message 27 of 31
TheCADWhisperer

@tsenPFFLN wrote:

I can't share the file as I am working on c
I have created a plane in an assembly and written one word with the font Soho Gothic Pro. in a height of 1,2025 mm. 

I just Extruded the text on the file that you attached.

Oops, I need to install the font...

Message 28 of 31
tsenPFFLN
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

that's interesting! How could that be that you can extrude it and I can't?
Message 29 of 31
g-andresen

Hi,

that´s the reason:

@HughesTooling wrote:

Without the font file* Fusion will default to Arial.

günther

* installed!!

Message 30 of 31
HughesTooling
in reply to: g-andresen

@g-andresen wrote:

Hi,

I asked the question about the SVG because I wanted to get an idea of the contour progression and possible problem areas.

günther

Just for reference here's what I get from Inkscape. F3D file of imported SVG attached, all looks good, better than most fonts!

HughesTooling_0-1694004003136.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 31 of 31
g-andresen
in reply to: HughesTooling

Hi,

@HughesTooling wrote:

better than most fonts!

I agree!

günther

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report