Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bowl of a spoon

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1175 Views, 5 Replies

Bowl of a spoon

I'm trying to modify an iges file. I need to modify the bowl of the spoon. I've tried every technique that I've ever used in other software, and it's not working. In the past, I'd slice the model to grab profiles, modify them as needed, then resurface. But dealing with sketches is so painful, and spline never act as intended. But they're the only ones that work in 3D off he sketch plane. 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Phil.E
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you share the iges file?

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Phil.E

Phil,

Here's the file. I did have some luck with lofting after post, but I'm hoping there's an easier way to get the results I need. Attached is the iges that I'm trying to edit. I need to modify the angle, the shape of the bowl, and the depth of the bowl to match another spoon (a physical sample, no model). Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Mike

Message 4 of 6
Phil.E

I need to leave the modeling advice here to other users, having not made any spoons before. It doesn't look as easy as it sounds.

This model comes in as a quilt of Patch faces (almost 200) and as such is somewhat more complex to edit. I would go with removing the faces you don't want and just modeling new ones that match your intended shape. If you want this to be solid, you'll have to stitch it together at some point.

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 6
HughesTooling

Here's a few things to try to simplify the model a bit.

I found it will only stitch if the tolerance is set to 0.05mm. At the end of the handle there are some skinny surfaces you'll need to delete.

Clipboard01.png

Then there are a lot of mirrored surface you can merge.

Clipboard3.png

Here I've merged most of the top faces but for some reason the 2 highlighted will not merge.

Clipboard02.png

I've attached the file in this state for you to finish.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: HughesTooling

Thank you both. So I did kind of what you did Mark. I stitched with a higher tolerance. Instead of merging the surfaces, I used those profiles in the bowl to create new profiles. I then lofted (after figuring out why that wasn't working before). Then I had to create the end of the bowl of the spoon and merge the new bowl with the old handle. I used splines to create the transitions. Using the handles, I was able to make the splines nearly exactly what I wanted. Then created surfaces and stitched it all together. It gets complicated having multiple sketches, and having certain elements only able to be drawn on the plain of the sketch. But if I have to do it again tomorrow I should be able to do it fairly quickly now. You can see it in 3D here on Shapeways. https://www.shapeways.com/model/3dtools/4703507/1/6?key=f93a6b5d5040d5255a2a6bae34721ce8

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report