Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Data Panel / File Browser

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
1188 Views, 14 Replies

Black Data Panel / File Browser

Hi,

I want to purchase your software but one simple small issue is rendering the entire software useless. My Data Panel / File Browser is completely black. Which means that I cannot access my projects, nor can I import files from other software since it requires me to upload the files first. I have reinstalled, updated my graphics card software, configured switchable graphics. I do not know what else is left to do nor do I understand why such a simple thing as a file browser requires graphic configuration. Please resolve at the earliest or my firm will have to go with a SolidWorks contract this year. I actually want to use Fusion 360. Please help.

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
chengyun.yang
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi, 

This is one known issue, which is the embeded browser doesn't work well on some Intel GPUs. If you have multiple GPUs on your machine, you can just go to the device manager and disable the Intel GPU to make sure the system is using the other one. 

Thanks

Chengyun

Fusion Development Team

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: chengyun.yang

I tried that too. It did not help the issue. Is there anything else I can
do? Is there a way to diagnose this problem?
Message 4 of 15
chengyun.yang

That is unexpected. Just to make sure: Did you disable the Intel GPU in Windows Device manager?

Thanks
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

Yes. Disabled Intel onboard graphics from Windows device manager. The
problem persists. Please advise what to do further.
Message 6 of 15
chengyun.yang

Thanks for the confirming. I will check with the team to see if there is any other workaround.
Message 7 of 15
matt.pooley

Hi,

To provide a little background, this issue is generally a symptom of GPU Acceleration problems while rendering web content. The most common scenario we have seen for this is when computers have dual graphics cards and the supported acceleration options for the two cards differ. In those cases, disabling the on-board (low power) graphics is usually a solution. The other scenario which we know can cause this problem is out of date or invalid graphics drivers. Could you confirm whether the graphics for your high power graphics card are up to date and correctly installed.

If they are, then we might need to do some more detailed investigation of your specific setup to understand what is happening, could you share the specifics of your system, I will then see if we can find something similar internally that might let us reproduce the problem.

Regards,

Matt Pooley

On Behalf of the Fusion Dev Team

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: matt.pooley

Hi guys,
Figured it out. HP installs a custom bios which wasn't letting me
completely disable onboard graphics. In trying to make the bios simple,
they made it barely configurable. Either way, problem solved. Thanks for
your help. The problem as usual turned out to be switchable graphics.
Message 9 of 15
matt.pooley

Thank you for the update and glad to hear you were able to resolve the issue.

We are continuing to work this problem, unfortunately we haven't made enough progress to be able to commit to a full fix that avoids the workaround.

Regards,

Matt.

Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

Hey,

I have found one more workaround for this problem, without changing anything in BIOS or disabling default graphics card. Where shall i post the solution?? I see that there are multiple posts about the same black panel issue. Is there any way you can help me post this?

Its not a complete fix but i guess your engineering team can find a solution through this.

Message 11 of 15
matt.pooley

Hi,

We would definitely be interested in a new workaround for this issue, please either share here or forward to me at matt.pooley@autodesk.com. I can then work with our forum moderators to get an appropriate sticky thread in place or get a FAQ updated.

Regards,

Matt.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I use Dell inspiron with windows 8.1, I use fusion 360 in my office PC & it runs perfectly. When i use it on my laptop it was giving the same black data panel problem. I searched for solution in forums but none of the solution worked out for me. I tried disabling intel graphics card, updating bios & other recommended solutions but nothing worked out. Finally, when i did following it worked.

1.Right click on fusion 360 icon on desktop

2.Click troubleshoot compatibility

3.'program compatibility troubleshooter' opens, I select the option 'Try recommended settings'

4.It says: Settings applied to fusion launcher: windows compatibility mode: Windows 8

5.when i click the 'Test the program...' button, Fusion 360 launches with perfectly working Data panel.

Everything works fine and program runs using secondary graphics card, it doesn't show in 'Graphics Diagnostics' but i know it uses it as i tested with complex structures and it was running smooth.

But here the problem is i have to follow the above 5 steps every time i use Fusion 360. But it takes hardly 5 seconds to do it, so i am using it from over a month now.

I thought engineers at autodesk can find a solution for this problem so i decided to post this on forum.

Unofficial: Frankly i love fusion 360 from the core of my heart. I have recommended this application to solidworks & nx users. I even sometimes keep a competition with my colleague  who uses solidworks just to see who can develop a component faster. But when i found out this problem in laptop i was very sad. I really want fusion to solve it soon & shine forever.

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

Thank you for the really useful workaround, we have updated our troubleshooting page for this issue to include it and have added it as another angle of investigation as we try to find a full solution.

Regards,

Matt.

Message 14 of 15
matt.pooley

Oops, the reply above was accidentally posted using an account I use for testing, apologies for any confusion.

Regards,

Matt Pooley

On Behalf of the Fusion Dev Team

Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

Yeah, for a moment i was confused seeing a new user name, Thanks for clarifying. Hope my workaround helps engineers solve this long standing bug.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report