Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best approach for modeling this type of design?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
523 Views, 5 Replies

Best approach for modeling this type of design?

I need a leg up on how to approach modeling this type of object

I have tried a few different approaches. I'm a little stumped at this point.

Any suggestions? 

Thanks.

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
TrippyLighting
in reply to: Anonymous

Sub-D or T-Splines (Create->Form). This is very different from "normal" CAD modeling and will take a while to master.

It can probably also be approached with surfacing (Patch environment) but is probably quite difficult and laborious to achieve in Fusion 360.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
TheCADWhisperer

How much experience do you have?

Can you Attach your attempt here?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Thank you for the reply TheCADWhisperer

I have been using 3D Studio Max since before it was called Max. However I haven't been in that interface much in the past year or two.

I have some experience with AutoCAD. And I have been working with Fusion 360 since approximately November of last year.

I'm trying to get a handle on using both the parametric modeling side combined with the sculpt environment but it seems a little like a gray area to me at this point.
I have very little experience in the patch environment at this point I'm sure the more I work with it the more I will learn. It's just a little frustrating at this point to know which direction to go with an object like this.

I have been utilizing some of Lars Christensen's YouTube videos to understand the basics.

So far on this project, I'm working in the sculpt environment creating faces with symmetry.

This is what I have so far. I'm using the two images as reference canvasses.

Message 5 of 6
TrippyLighting

If you still have 3DS Max available then you can model the thing in there (clean quads please) and then export the control mesh as a .obj and import it into Fusion 360 and then convert it into a T-Spline. I do this with Blender all the time.

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
TheCADWhisperer

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm trying to get a handle on using both the parametric modeling side combined with the sculpt environment but it seems a little like a gray area to me at this point....

The attached example was created 4 or 5 years ago and some of the process has changed, but if you can work your way through this it might be of some use for your design (unless you decide to use t-Splines).

Stitched PatchesStitched Patches

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report