Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bend along a bend radius

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
shawn.parella
1027 Views, 14 Replies

Bend along a bend radius

I have a sheet metal part with a bend in it that has a rather large radius. I have sketched a line along the face of the bend radius and attempted to use the Bend function to create an additional bend. The pop up info says "Draw a straight line over a sheet metal body, then select the face and the sketched line to create a bend." However, it appears to only allow selection of flat faces, or at least not the face of a radius that was created by a previous flange. The image below shows a simplified version of what I'm trying to do. 

This is probably a known limitation, so I'd just like to add my request for the ability to do this.

shawnparella_0-1645120098260.png

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

the bend tool was introduced to allow people who already had a library of flat patterns to re-create the 3d parts in fusion.  wasn't intended as a modeling tool.

what are you trying to achieve?

Message 3 of 15

I'm trying to do what you said: use it as a modeling tool. The sheet metal component was modeled in Fusion. I'm investigating a potential change to the part, which is the addition of one bend. Since the component is many flanges in sequence (roughly sinusoidal), adding a flange in the middle of the timeline would require remodeling all features after it.

So, my estimate of the time and labor required to make the change was considerably off, since my assumption of functionality was based on the tool tip description rather than actual experience.

Message 4 of 15

@shawn.parella wrote:

So, my estimate of the time and labor required to make the change was considerably off…

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

One of the experts here can probably save you the labor of modeling the part and probably do it within minutes.

Message 5 of 15

The design is proprietary to my employer, so unfortunately I'm not able to post it to the forum.

Message 6 of 15

post a mockup of the problem.

entirely probable there is a process that won't be particularly time consuming.

Message 7 of 15

or at least what you mean by "additional bend".  I can imagine all sorts of scenarios based on that description. 

as an example, making this change just added 4 features to timeline and wouldn't have effected the rest of the model-

laughingcreek_0-1645129066021.png

laughingcreek_1-1645129098472.png

Message 8 of 15

I was intending the original post's image to be the mock-up. The blue line indicates where I'd like to add the feature. The new bend radius would be smaller, so it could be described as a bend along a bend.

Message 9 of 15

@shawn.parella wrote:

The design is proprietary to my employer, so unfortunately I'm not able to post it to the forum.

It should be relatively easy to create a dummy file that exhibits the desired features of the proprietary data.

Use standard modeling tools rather than sheet metal if necessary to get as close as possible to desired geometry.

Right now I see an infinite number of possibilities...

Message 10 of 15

??

you mean change the radius of the bend? or add an additional bend (bend along a bend).  probably should sketch out what your looking for.

Message 11 of 15

An additional bend with a tighter radius. The result would be something like this:

shawnparella_0-1645130402364.png

Message 12 of 15

preferred would be to edit the original sketch flange was made from.  but if you have to do it on the back end you can do something hacky like in the attached.  I don't like using align in parametric models.

but sometimes you do what you got to do.  

Message 13 of 15

Hi,

I would be interested in realizing what you exposed in the post, could you help me to realize it? I would like to do it only on a portion of the curve not on the whole

Thanks for the help.

J

Message 14 of 15

@sivorijacopo 

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file of your attempt to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Message 15 of 15

Angle.jpgBox.png

Hi need to do something like the first pic in the angle of the box shown in the project.

thanks for the help
J

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report