Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginner question, arch top guitar model

72 REPLIES 72
SOLVED
Message 1 of 73
Anonymous
9848 Views, 72 Replies

Beginner question, arch top guitar model

I do alot of woodworking with my CNC at home and have used different software to create 3D models of a Les Paul type guitar arched top.

I am having a hell of a time making a complex curve outlines shape that also has complex curved top surface.  

I have no problem sketching the shape of the body and extruding a shape to the complex outline.  The problem is getting the arched top portion.  Any tutorials that may help me figure this out?

Thanks

72 REPLIES 72
Message 61 of 73
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Coolest...thing...ever.  I'd say the long nights are going to pay off.  And now you have some awesome modeling skills!

Jesse

Message 62 of 73
Anonymous

I was just curious, do plan on machining the body to be hollow (as you can tell I'm not the most knowledgeable about guitars, but I'd assume for electric the body can be solid).  Also, how did you do that guitar with the skull 3d relief?!

Jesse

Message 63 of 73
Anonymous

There are hollow body and partial hollow body guitars.  They dont have to be solid.  I will proabably make it a partial hollow to reduce weight.

The skull was done by using a grayscale image to make relief bitmap, making the darkest spots the deepest, in this case about 0.125 ".  It was done with some other wood working friendly gcode software.

Message 64 of 73
Anonymous

Gotcha.  Pretty unique.  The next "Gibson" 😉

Jesse

Message 65 of 73
Anonymous

This is a real great study in how to build a complex shape. I wonder if you would be willing to explain the changes you made to arrive at the final model.I've looked at the LP file and the original looks very good.

Thanks for all the info and work that went into your Les Paul.

Paul

Message 66 of 73
Anonymous

I will try to work on something to show how I made the top.  It will be a few days out, but plan on gettin gback to this soon.

Message 67 of 73
mariolcp

@Anonymous wrote:

I will try to work on something to show how I made the top.  It will be a few days out, but plan on gettin gback to this soon.

Any news about the tutorial about making this top? I'm really looking forward to learn how to do this carved tops and been lokking for tutorials and info with no luck for a long time your method seems perfect thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Message 68 of 73
Anonymous
in reply to: mariolcp

So it only took me about a year to come back to this.....sorry.  But here it is.

Message 69 of 73
Anonymous

And a short follow up on how to trim the surface back....

Message 70 of 73
mariolcp

Thank you very much for taking the time to solve this, I guess from this point all it takes is to slice the neck and pickup planes, does the order of plane trimming affect the end result in any way?
Message 71 of 73
Anonymous
in reply to: mariolcp

I found it to work best to trim the neck and pickup planes last, but patch the section after each cut/trim.

Message 72 of 73
oldtbone55

Just had a chance to view this post and I'm blown away. I've built my guitars by hand and done the whole contour top bit by hand but started looking into how to do this using the technology that's available. That's when I found about Fusion 360 and now I'm going down a whole new road. Doing contour tops by hand has become a bit harder as I've gotten older and if I can do it using this amazing program it sure will make life easier. I'm just a hobbyist and build guitars for myself and to keep the brain working in my retirement. This is absolutely great and my hats off to the folks on this site. This is a great community of people and I've already received more help than I could have imagined. 

Kudos to everyone.

Cheers!

Message 73 of 73
Anonymous
in reply to: oldtbone55

So after alot of fussing with how to machine the model, I finally built the jigs and pulled the trigger on the CNC machine and milled the neck which had been holding me up.  Unfortunately the CAM in Fusion 360 baffles me on how to properly set it all up.  I exported the models as STL files and used a cam program that I am more familiar with.  Anyway here are some photos of the parts cut using the Fusion models I made.  The neck could not be completely cut with the CNC (will finish by hand) as my machine doesn't have the travel required to do it all unless I break up the milling in multiple setups and using shorter tools in the various setups.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report