Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic Using Sketches Q

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
jw.eldredge
273 Views, 8 Replies

Basic Using Sketches Q

I have a sketch, well defined by constraints and dimensions, that I would like to use as a basis for creating multiple independent bodies. The sketch is a simple parallelogram divided, along its length, into sections. I wish to extrude a solid (body) from each section, and apply different shaping techniques to each body, all without messing up any of the other bodies, or having them interfere with one another.

1. How can this be done?

Can a sketch in one "design" be imported, copy/pasted, whatever it's called, into another "design"?

2. How can this be done?

I am brand new to Fusion360 (obviously) so please bear with me if my questions are too simple. Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jhackney1972
in reply to: jw.eldredge

Please attach your model so the Forum users can get an idea what you desire.  If you do not know how to attach your Fusion 360 model follow these easy steps. Open the model in Fusion 360, select the File menu, then Export and save as a F3D or F3Z file to your hard drive. Then use the Attachments section, of a forum post, to attach it.

The answer to Question 1 is YES

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 9
wersy

If you select "New Body" for all extrusions, you only need one sketch.
All bodies can then be edited separately from each other.

Message 4 of 9
wmhazzard

You can also derive the sketch into as many new designs that you want. 

Message 5 of 9
jw.eldredge
in reply to: wersy

Thank you @wersy, that helps with Q1. Obviously I'm new at this, I just selected sections and extruded, causing things to be linked. Dumb newby mistakes. I'm trying to learn how to do things within a "design".

As to Q2, it goes to "different designs". I have a Sketch in Design1. I like it. I want to create Design2 and Design3 and use the Sketch. How would I go about selecting just the Sketch from Design1, and adding it to Design2, and/or Design3?

Kind of a workflow question. 

Thanks again for your answer @wersy. I tried it and it's just the ticket.

Message 6 of 9
jw.eldredge
in reply to: wmhazzard

Thank you @wmhazzard. Yeah, that's my Q2. Could you describe how to do that, or point me to a video or community post, or anything, that describes how to do that?

Sorry about seeming obtuse, but you guys speak a totally different language, and it takes a while to learn tense, case, and syntax.

Message 7 of 9
g-andresen

Hi,

Please follow the recommendation by @jhackney1972 and share the file.

günther

Message 8 of 9
wmhazzard

Check out this Brad Talis video to understand derive. Basically you will click on Derive under the create menu of a saved design and select the sketch that you want to use, that will create a new design with that sketch linked back to the original. That way if you decide to change the original sketch, you will get an update prompt in the new designs. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a21WBwe6UC4 

Message 9 of 9
jw.eldredge
in reply to: wmhazzard

Thank you @wmhazzard . Some good thoughts in there. Am getting a good response from tech support for Q2.

Appreciate all the interest. As to @jhackney1972 , et al, thanks for the interest, but I do not think it desirable, necessary, or appropriate, to request a download of proprietary design files in order to answer a simple workflow step question. Since @wersy answered Q1 simply, and directly, I will marked this solved.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report