Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad DWG to 3D cad model

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
2502 Views, 5 Replies

Autocad DWG to 3D cad model

What is the simplest way to convert an Autocad dwg to a 3D model in Fusion 360? Right now I uploaded the DWG and I and I am creating new sketches from the dwg with the "project sketch" command and then creating solid bodies from each sketch.

The process works. I was just wondering if there was a better way.

I did come across this approach. https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/learn-explore/caas/auonline/content/au/global/en/a...

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
HughesTooling
in reply to: Anonymous

You might find it easier if you can convert the DWG to a DXF. With a DXF you can import into a design with InsertDXF and if the design has history enabled you'll be able to edit the sketches and add constraint and dimension. If you import by uploading a DWG after enabling history the sketches are in a base feature so not as useful as imported sketches through InsertDXF.

Also if you organise your sketches in the DXF using layers and blocks you get the same organisation in Fusion. Blocks are made into components and each layer will create a sketch.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: HughesTooling

For some reason, the insert DXF command keeps failing. I get the error message below.

Warning: The selected DXF file does not contain units information. The design's units will be used. You can change this with the Units dropdown.

Message 4 of 6
HughesTooling

Have you got a dxf you can share. The warning message should not be a problem as you can pick units on import so there might be something else wrong. The insertDXF command will only import 2d sketches, is there anything else in the file?

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: HughesTooling

dxf.JPGI figured out how to insert the dxf properly. There were some other sheets in the dwf that needed to be deleted. However, in order for me to create extrudes I still need to use a "Project sketch" and "trim" because of the overlapping lines. Thanks for your help.

Message 6 of 6
HughesTooling

Don't know if you've figured this out but you don't need to trim the lines in Fusion, you can pick more than one region for the extrude. Can be tedious if there are lots of closed profiles to pick though.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report