Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

aligning centres of planes

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
kevinwilcox46
512 Views, 16 Replies

aligning centres of planes

Quick question: I'm modelling a boat from line plans. I have a series of stacked offset planes, one for each station (37 planes to be precise). I have actually created the planes by using plane at angle off the lines plan rather than offsetting from the default origin. The origin of the consequent sketches is different, on the x axis, to the origin of default. This is a nuisance, as it means the sketches don't align to a common centrepoint origin. Is there a way to re-align the origins?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Please share your model. I can already tell you that you are using the wrong approach to model that boat.

37 profiles will never connect smoothly with a loft!!!

EESignature

Message 3 of 17

Hi Peter, file attached. The 'station' sketches are surfaced slices from a mesh fbx file shared with me. I'm at an early stage of turning them into simple splined sketches (e.g. profile1, 2 etc), as station1, 2 etc wouldn't loft more than a couple of profiles. In fact these aren't really stations but slices through the boats internal ribs.

I wasn't planning to loft all 37, probably just 9 or 10, but transcribed them all as a means of checking how accurate the loft was. My plan is/was to get the loft done and then re-slice the hull longitudinally and horizontally, to establish the top down line plan, then re-profile the stations from that. You sound familiar with ship plans or the principle of modelling these shapes to a defined plan so hopefully understand what I mean.

Regardless, it's heavy going and the point of the exercise is for me to figure out how to create an accurate ship hull  in F360 from old line plans, so I'd welcome all suggestions.

The loft and thicken you'll see in the history were me testing how it was working out, I'd be deleting them now.

Message 4 of 17

I am assuming you imported the sketch geometry, because the splines/curves don't have any of the usual controls (control points or spline handles) . Geometry imported from vector graphics applications causes a lot of headaches when working with them it in Fusion 360.

The curvature of these curves is also not exactly smooth. Here's only one example:

TrippyLighting_0-1654872444083.png

EESignature

Message 5 of 17
wersy
in reply to: kevinwilcox46

I have never been able to create a perfect round hull from frames with Fusion. I wouldn't try it again either. Fusion is not the right program for that.
Horizontal and vertical longitudinal lines are of course very helpful.
In any case, it will be a lot of work. Good luck!

Message 6 of 17

No Peter, unfortunately all I got was the mesh, no sketches or anything like that. I converted the mesh to solid, then split the bodies to get these somewhat angular station sketches. I've done that in a separate file as it creaks and groans it's way through operations due to the very large numbers of triangles. Then copied the sketches across into this file, which is where the misalignment arises.

The reason there are no handles is because, for now, I'm just exploring how to do this and, rather than deal with the hundreds of spline points arising from projecting the solids to the station sketches, I've traced the outer line to the profile sketches, offset by 20mm, deleted the original line and then offset back from the 2nd line by -20mm to get a pair of lines without spline points. This is why I then did a trial loft at profile 4, because when I had a few spline points the loft was misconnecting and failing. In fact that was no better so I instead tried surfacing and thicknessing, which did work and may be the way to go.

I know that good practice in CAD ship modelling is to have the same, small number of spline points on each station sketch to allow fairing,  connecting these with rails. Down the line that would still be the aim but for now I'm trying to establish the best workflow in F360 and that F360 is as good a tool as any for this purpose. 

I'd noticed that flat spot on the upper part of the profiles; I tested addressing it on profile 4 by tracing the spline to just selected points and shaping via the handles before the offset routine, so am not too bothered by that at the moment. Once I get to a point where the workflow is clear and the lofting works, I'll decide which stations to keep for lofting, go back and  re-do the splines to allow manipulation. I realise it would be easier to decide now, but I'm trying to avoid creating a boat that's similar to the original over one that is a near exact replica and suspect I'm going to need use most of those at the prow and stern. But I'd want to do them all in one go so I can check that the hull is also faired laterally.

FWIW, the end product is supposed to replicate this, and if I can do that, the principles should be readily transferable to the big ships I'm aiming to model (Victory, Cutty Sark etc);

jolly boat 1.jpg

 BTW, this isn't the real thing - this is the 3D model

Message 7 of 17
kevinwilcox46
in reply to: wersy

Thanks Wersy - having invested so many hours learning F360 I'm hugely reluctant to jump ship and learn Rhino, even though I've seen that it does all of this with ease. I won't die in a ditch over it, but if there's a reasonable workflow - and I can't (yet) see why there shouldn't be - I'll give it a good go in F360 first.
Message 8 of 17

to answer the initial question-a plane from  "plane at an angle" will have it's origin at the midpoint of the line it's created from.  in your sketch you didn't constrain the midpoint to any particular location.  right now it's slightly off center, as is the midpoint of the planes.   constrain the midpoints of lines to be horizontal with the origin.

on it bigger things.  @TrippyLighting is right, your approach is going to cause you all sorts of headaches.

some general thoughts-

starting with a mesh, any workflow that involves converting it to a brep is probably not going to work well in fusion.   there are tons of reasons for this that we could talk about for days.  the argument is of course "but I want to be as  accurate as possible".  unfortunately, you already lost accuracy when the mesh got converted from what ever format it was in before.  that's the nature of meshes.   Accuracy is not going to get any better (and will in fact get worse) by sticking with the mesh data and continuing to manipulate that.  The advise about 90% of the time is to use the mesh as a visual reference only, and model from scratch.  you can check your result against the original mesh.

if your able to get away with lofting to a single point (usually advised against b/c of surface quality at the point, but easier to do a boat haul this way.  if your surface isn't to crazy you can often get away with it), then you can probably loft the boat haul you pictured with 3 profiles and some rails.  (I say "probably" b/c I haven't tried it yet, buy I have done quite a few lofts, and I'm pretty sure.  would definitely start there at least.)

Message 9 of 17
TrippyLighting
in reply to: wersy

@wersy wrote:

... Fusion is not the right program for that...

Do you have experience with a tool that "is right" for this work and can you recommend one ?

EESignature

Message 10 of 17

Can you share that 3D model ?

I am wondering what kind of mesh this is. Often textured models are quad meshes.

EESignature

Message 11 of 17

laughingcreek, thanks, that explanation of the planes refs is priceless. I would never have figured that out myself.

bigger things... to a large extent I am only using the mesh as a visual reference. I've created some 'good enough' standalone sketches from tracing the slices of the brep, copied these across into a separate file and there's no connection at all between that and the mesh file. My intention is that the 'ships boats' file will be a pure F360 product as though I had scratch-built the boats. However, I suppose what I'm really doing here is taking a shortcut. I'm using those 'good enough' sketches to try to create a close enough model, from which I could, if I wanted, create a normal ship lines plan. If you're not familiar with that, it looks like the pic below. So we're on the same page in that respect. The tricky bit will probably be getting it to loft. I'll be trying to get away with the smallest possible number of profiles but think it could become six of one and half dozen of the other - more profiles will tend to yield the correct stern shape, less probably means I'd need more rails. I often struggle with when lofting goes yellow, any advice or nuggets for dealing with that would be very welcome.

Peter, I'd love to share the mesh but feel it was given to me in the expectation that I would only use it for reference and not share any further. It's a beautiful bit of very high quality work and I'm always conscious that some creators make a living through this and similar projects.

In case you're wondering why I don't just use this lines plan, it's because the lines are never fair; working off a faired model gives me a better chance of ending up with what I want, but is also something of an experiment i.e. is this a way to go, or is it just not suitable for F360.

SilmarilPlan3.jpg

Message 12 of 17

@kevinwilcox46 wrote:

.. to a large extent I am only using the mesh as a visual reference. I've created some 'good enough' standalone sketches from tracing the slices of the brep, copied these across into a separate file and there's no connection at all between that and the mesh file...

several contradictions within the span of 2 sentences.

My intention is that the 'ships boats' file will be a pure F360 product as though I had scratch-built the boats. However, I suppose what I'm really doing here is taking a shortcut. I'm using those 'good enough' sketches to try to create a close enough model, from which I could, if I wanted, create a normal ship lines plan.

each step of the way, quality at best will stay the same, but usually degrades some.  "good enough" becomes "not quite as good" becomes worse from before, which leads to "why are my lofts going yellow?"

you want good lofts?  your input sketches need to be pristine.  there is no shortcut around that. 

Message 13 of 17
billbedford
in reply to: kevinwilcox46

@kevinwilcox46 wrote:

In case you're wondering why I don't just use this lines plan, it's because the lines are never fair; working off a faired model gives me a better chance of ending up with what I want, but is also something of an experiment i.e. is this a way to go, or is it just not suitable for F360.

The lines aren't fair because it's a clinker-built boat, hence the 'steps' in the lines.

Traditionally clinker boats were built by building the planking first and then fitting the frames. I suggest you follow the same arrangement. Select the middle profile and divide it into as many sections as the number of planks using sketch points. Repeat this process for every third or fourth profile moving both fore and aft, also on the stem and transom. Now join the sketch points with splines. This will give a series of rails that can be used to loft the planks. Remembering that the plank would be rabbeted into the keel and stem and that there would be a 1-2 inch overlap between the planks, depending on the size of the boat, so the planks could be nailed together. 

Message 14 of 17
kevinwilcox46
in reply to: billbedford

Thanks Bill, that's very helpful advice, I'll look at that. Right now the skin is lofting fine, I've just used the first 4 or 5 section stations for the stern, then every 5th or 6th one thereafter. But your suggestion may be a better, quicker approach.

Incidentally, I wasn't 100% sure if the planking was evenly spaced, hadn't looked at that yet on the model but thought it probably was, so thanks for confirming that.

Message 15 of 17

Thanks again for the help yesterday, all very valuable advice which helped get me to where I wanted to get to and gives me a good steer for the rest of the project. There are a couple of minor wrinkles (literally) in this interim result, one when lofting the return to the prow, another which is just a minor fairing issue. Both will be easy to deal with. From here I can now better see and understand where the stations really need to be to get the prow and stern planking correctly.

laughingcreek, you mention the sketches need to be pristine. Can I ask what you would call pristine? On other similar lofting projects (curved both ways, including S-shapes) I've taken great pains to ensure the curves are smooth, continuous, constrained, railed, everything I can think of, but still sometimes get the yellow hell. By and large I've got around it by surfacing and thickening (just as I've done here) but would really like to understand what to look for to avoid the problem in the first place and fix it when it happens.

kevinwilcox46_0-1654931948156.png

Message 16 of 17
wersy
in reply to: TrippyLighting

@TrippyLighting  schrieb:

@wersy wrote:

... Fusion is not the right program for that...

Do you have experience with a tool that "is right" for this work and can you recommend one ?

We've had this topic before, you said:

„Looking at the NURBS patches in hat model I agree that this cannot be done that way in Fusion 360 and most likely the majority of midstream CAD software. The hull is mostly one contiguous  NURBS surface. To create a surface like that requires control over individual NURBS CVs, something we don't have in Fusion 360.“

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-design-validate/designing-very-specific-yacht-how-can-i-ch...

It would be a milestone if there were such a script for Fusion as well, although the smoothing process can take several hours.

But even hard chined boats according to shipyard plans (with tenths of a milimeter accuracy) do not succeed without extensive reworking of the frames and longitudinal lines. As with my already well-known sailing dinghy "Pirate"

wersy_0-1654937875540.jpeg

In the end, I just used the longitudinal lines (rails) approximated to the formers for the loft. You don't really need the formers for hard chined hulls. So I created the ribs afterwards.

All my round frame boats that I have published are made up of 3 splines. The keel line, the deck line and the stern profile.

Today, if I wanted to draw a hull that was as close as possible to the original, I would use a program that was developed ONLY for ships. I am thinking, for example, of "Delftship".

In the video it immediately becomes clear why this method creates smooth hulls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCOmPcBZv58

As a cautionary example - how NOT to do it - a 74-gun ship from which I had very good framing drawings.

This was my first attempt in 2000 🙂

wersy_1-1654937875577.jpeg

wersy_2-1654938071779.png

Message 17 of 17

I'm told Rhino is the standard for ship architects. Unless I have to, I don't want to have to learn another tool for the sake of the 2 or 3 large hulls I might ever build, when in most other respects F360 does everything I need and in some ways appears better/easier than Rhino (though I only spent an hour grazing/trying Rhino). It would obviously be better to use whatever tool is best for the particular job but life is short (especially at my age) and the learning curve is long. The same applies to Delftship and one or two other dedicated apps I've come across such as shapemaker https://www.shmexpert.com/. On top of which I don't like importing STL's into an F360 project if I can create them natively in F360. I'm no F360 pro, although I'm getting better I still muddle through some of the more complex projects, in terms of both designing and executing, and stl's inhibit my ability to quickly redesign one object to suit changes to another and vice versa, etc, which I do a lot. Not good practice or workflow, but if I tried to design stuff thoroughly beforehand I'd never make anything.

This little jolly boat is just a way for me to get my feet wet - to learn some of the pitfalls and challenges of hull modelling and doing this in F360. Lots of people say 'don't even go there' but, to me, it looks like F360 has the capability, I probably know how to use it just well enough to give it a decent go, and doing so is quicker in the short term than changing horses. But I'm always open-minded and pragmatic about these things so if it becomes apparent that it's especially difficult in F360, I'll try something else. 

Your 2000 attempt is where I'd expect to end up if I tried to model the Victory hull right now - so the major question for me is how easy or hard it is to fair the hull from there. In Rhino you can do this on the fly, moving spline points any way you want after lofting with the surface changing as you go, including where a station meets a waterline. In F360 that junction would have a constraint and I'm not yet sure (as I haven't tried) if that's the obstacle.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report