Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air Pillow Event Simulation

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
310 Views, 3 Replies

Air Pillow Event Simulation

Hello,

I am trying to simulate a drop test of an 3 kg payload that has an air pillow on the bottom for shock absorption (the air pillow has compressed air), Is there anyway to simulate/model this on Fusion? 

Kind regards,

Aadam

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
John_Holtz
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Aadam,

I would say that the answer is no.

• Air is a gas, so the pressure throughout the gas is essentially equal. (At least as equal as the pressure waves moving through it allow it to equalize.) The analysis can only simulate solids. The pressure wave passing through the solid behaves much differently.
  • I would assume that the "pillow" is a thin membrane. That would be best analyzed with a membrane element. Fusion only has solid elements which will not give accurate results for anything that is really thin.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: John_Holtz

Hi John, 

Hope you are keeping well and safe. Thank you very much for your reply! Could you please tell me more about using membrane element analysis ? Is there a paper for me to read or a video perhaps ?

Thank you very much for your help! 

Kind regards,

Aadam

Message 4 of 4
John_Holtz
in reply to: Anonymous

A membrane cannot resist bending. Think of fabric (clothing) or the thin material in a car air bag. It will bend or fold with a very small load -- essentially, it has no stiffness in bending. It resists the applied loads only by creating forces/stress in the plane of the material; that is, it creates membrane stresses.

I do not have any particular references, but you can use your favorite search engine to find lots of hits for "FEA membrane element".

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report