Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a component from a STEP file is very cumbersome

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
JetForMe
321 Views, 2 Replies

Adding a component from a STEP file is very cumbersome

At its best, you're inserting a component from McMaster's website. But if you have a local step file, you have to first "New Design from File." But this doesn't put all the components of the imported STEP file into one top-level component for easy copy/paste to the Design you're working on.

There are two fixes needed here:

1) Allow me to just import a STEP file as a new component into an existing Design. This is so obvious as to be painful.

2) Allow me to copy the top-level of a Design and Paste New as if it were a component.

3) Barring 2, New Design from File should probably then just create a new top-level component into which to place all the components in the imported STEP file (or give me the option to during import).

MacBook Pro, PCNC1100 Series 3, Slant-PRO 15L Lathe, Custom AvidCNC-based 4x9' CNC Router w/24k 4.5 kW HSD Spindle & Teknic SDSK Servos
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Another option is do upload them first and than to insert them into your design by either "Insert into Current Desgin" or by insert it as derived design, but those could only be placed top level.

Message 3 of 3

Still very cumbersome.

MacBook Pro, PCNC1100 Series 3, Slant-PRO 15L Lathe, Custom AvidCNC-based 4x9' CNC Router w/24k 4.5 kW HSD Spindle & Teknic SDSK Servos

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report