Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3DPOLY import in FUSION

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
salvatoremecca
330 Views, 5 Replies

3DPOLY import in FUSION

Dear Community,

I have a 3dpoly with thousand of vertices (it is a conversion from a GPX file) and I would like o import it in FUSION in order to manage it (make some extrusion).

I've tried to import as DXF but I cannot, for my understanding I can import a dxf in a plane, How can I import a 3d line with Z coordinates and work on it?

Attached you can find the top view and front view of 3dpoly I want to manage.

Thanks in advance

Salmec

Tags (2)
Labels (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Drewpan
in reply to: salvatoremecca

Hi,

Unless the new fusion updates have solved the ongoing problem it is highly unlikely you will be able to import a

3Dpoly successfully. Especially one that has been translated from third party software.

AutoCAD DXF files when imported into fusion often import as a mass of short line segments instead of smooth curves

and lines. This makes it almost impossible with a complex shape to create a single line without massive hand editing.

There may be another way to do this but importing as a DXF is probably not the way. SVG files, that are also supposed

to be vector graphics files, have recently been updated in fusion. SVG files would often behave like DXF files when

imported (import as a mass of line segments), so it may be worth a shot at using this method. I would however NOT

try converting with a third party first. Either do it natively or a conversion will almost certainly break somewhere.

Cheers

Andrew

Message 3 of 6
salvatoremecca
in reply to: Drewpan

Dear Andrew,

thanks for your interest and answer, how can I import svg with the height indication (z axis)?

Let assume I can simplify the 3d poliline , or consider a trace in svg, how can I import in Fusion?

SVG is a vectorial trace that do not have the indication of Z axis...

Instead of importing from a different format is possible do draw directly a 3d poliline in Fusion?

I can draw sketches in one plane, but how can I draw a 3d line for example from point with coordinate (0,0,0) to (1,1,1)?

I share the process to convert GPX file to 3d poliline, maybe can help someone:

GPX is an XML file readable with a normal text viewer.

Importing the GPX file in excel is possible to manage latitute, longitude and elevation coordinate.

If you arrange all data in the style:

lat1,long1,elev1

lat2,long2,elev2

etc

select all the cells and copy

going to cad program imput 3DPOLY and paste all values copied by excel.

Close the poliline at the end of the process.

In this way you can draw a thousand of vertex simply by copy & paste

Thanks again

Salmec

Message 4 of 6

there could be more than one issue.

first possible problem, your import scheme may not be supported.  Check if the process is even supported by first trying to import a very simple file.  one with just a handful of segments.

the second possible problem is the number of segments.  fusion doesn't do well with sketches that have thousands of segments, as it chokes up the sketch solver.

Message 5 of 6

@salvatoremecca wrote:

Dear Community,

I have a 3dpoly with thousand of vertices

Thanks in advance

Salmec

You can import 3d info in a DXF using InsertDXF. The problem is Fusion can not handle sketches with thousands of lines\curves, doesn't matter if it's 2d or 3d, Fusion's sketch solver just can't handle lots of info.

Attached is a 3d DXF that imports no problem.

HughesTooling_0-1722012904200.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 6

Another problem could be if the info is a long way from the origin.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report