Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D scan processing - "combine" Mesh sections?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
1008 Views, 11 Replies

3D scan processing - "combine" Mesh sections?

Hi guys,

is it possible to somehow combine Mesh selection (each in different planes) to create Solid body (or Surface) in F360?

Please see attached picture. I was thinking about Lofting the "circular" ones and define Rails, but didn't work this way (either if the section is closed, or is just the line over).

I think I saw something similar in Rhino (which is working in different way as F360, but still).

Thanks.

Labels (2)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: Anonymous

File>Export and then Attach your *.f3d file here.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Hello, original post edited, f3d file added.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 12
TheCADWhisperer

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, original post edited, f3d file added.

Thanks.

No *.f3d file is Attached?

Oops, OK, now I see it.

Message 5 of 12
TrippyLighting

In general, what you are trying to do can be done for this sort of object.

However, you'll have to create a "real" sketch based on these mesh sections and thee are specific tools for that in the sketch tool section.

You either "trace" these section sketches manually, or you use the "Fit curves to mesh sections" tools:

Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 9.22.15 AM.png

However, the number of mesh sections and where these mesh sections should be located is not sufficient to accurately represent that geometry. I would not create this in a single loft!

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Please, see attached f3d file.

Sections are traced by Fit Curves of course.

I made around 15 sections of this object and Lofted it. It works, but I can imagine it could be done with less effort and larger precision.

My idea is make rough Loft from 3-5 sections of shape, and after that 2 sections in other planes to make "boundaries" for rought Lofted shape.

Message 7 of 12
TrippyLighting

Your post did not include an attached file.

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

I've added it yesterday, after notification from TheCADWhisperer. Try look more carefully.

file_attached.jpg

Message 9 of 12
TrippyLighting

I guess I should have read your initial post again 😉 (did that yesterday)

Depending on what you want to do with the model you can of course use Mesh Sections.

However, another solution would be to remesh this triangulated mesh into a quad-mesh (I used InstantMeshes) and then import that quad mesh and create a T-Spline and then solid.

Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 7.41.58 AM.png

Here is a tutorial that describes the overall process:

EESignature

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

Yes, thank you.

I'm familiar with process scan data through quad mesh, but still I'm curious if is some way how to do it way, which I mentioned above.... 🙂

Message 11 of 12
TrippyLighting

Yes, of course, that is possible. I thought I'd explained the general workflow already?

In this screencast, I am only showing the result. Aligning the scan better to eh main axis/origin would still increase accuracy but it is pretty close already. Pay close attention to the locations of the mesh sections, to the order of the lofts, and to the loft settings.

I first created the lofts for those areas with low and even curvature. Then I created intermediate lofts between those for areas with high curvature and in the loft, settings used the Tangent setting. That obviously requires the rail splines to be tangent as well.

I left the end of the handle for you to figure out 😉

This is about 20 minutes of work.

If better surface quality is desired I'd suggest hand-tracing the mesh section with CV splines.

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

Thank you very much and for your's time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report