Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

360 STL export and Mac OS Quick Look is blank...

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Mowee
1298 Views, 11 Replies

360 STL export and Mac OS Quick Look is blank...

For the last few months I have noticed that STL files exported from Fusion 360 no longer show up in Mac OS Quick Look.

When Apple added Quick Look for STL in El Capitan it was was a huge productivity booter!  The issue now is that none of my Fusion 360 exported STL files work with quick look any longer, not even ones I exported last year from 360 also no longer show up?  They all did before.   Other STL I get from online do work still and if I run my exported 360 STLs though netfabb repair they start to work again.  

Has anyone else noticed this?

Tags (3)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
matt.pooley
in reply to: Mowee

Hi,

Researching this issue, it appears that STL file support through QuickLook is provided by 3rd party addins. Is it possible that you have installed either an OS X update or new software which may have broken the addin that was previously providing this preview ?

I found some information on debugging this situation at http://www.elektriktrick.com/sw_quicklook.html (the Issues section). Following these steps may highlight where things are disconnected.

Regards,

Matt Pooley

On Behalf of the Fusion Dev Team

Message 3 of 12
Mowee
in reply to: matt.pooley

It was only by 3rd party addins before Apple added native support in El Capitan.  I removed that 3rd party plug in after updateing to El Capitan. 

I have since discovered that saveing the STL from Fusion in ASCII formate instead of Binary still works with the built in QuickLook.  

Just wondering why the binary format no longer does. 

Message 4 of 12
matt.pooley

Hi,

It appears that the STL viewer in El Capitan doesn't have full support for binary STL format. We will look into this to try and pin down the specific quirk of our exported data that is causing challenges.

Regards,

Matt

Message 5 of 12
Mowee

Great! It was working until recently though.
Message 6 of 12
matt.pooley

It is possible we are dealing with multiple changes having a cumulative impact, however since the files you exported last year are no longer viewable in Quicklook, its unlikely that a recent Fusion update is causing the whole problem.

Regards,

Matt.

Message 7 of 12
twmasterZ5S42

It's been more than two years since this was updated and Quickview is still not working in Mac OS 10.11.6 "El Capitan"

Any update?

Message 8 of 12
Mowee
in reply to: twmasterZ5S42

I don't know what Apple changed at the end of 10.11 but it works fine in 10.12 and 10.13.   

Message 9 of 12
twmasterZ5S42

Thanks. I guess I'll have to decide if I want to move up to a newer OS on both Macs. The upgrade to El Crapitan trashed my email and some other smaller issues so I've been reluctant to upgrade until absolutely required to.

Message 10 of 12
Mowee
in reply to: twmasterZ5S42

I'm happily running 10.12 on my mac and I think its an improvement.   I have 10.13 on another and it's even better, but some of my older software will not run on it...

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

I would like to contribute with my own experience regarding this issue. I can't see Fusion 360-saved STL files through quicklook. 

I have tested to open them in both Netfabb and MeshLab and then saved them as binary STL files. The resulting files can then be rendered without problem through quicklook. 

I'm running Mac OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

If anyone still has this problem, I can inform that upgrading to macOS Mojave Version 10.14.1 solved the issue.

Now, every STL file, regardless of what software I saved it from or if it is ASCII or binary, will be rendered nicely as an interactive preview when the space bar is pressed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report