Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My assembly joints are broken after I updated Fusion 360, now what?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
keqingsong
5869 Views, 18 Replies

My assembly joints are broken after I updated Fusion 360, now what?

We heard issues of some of you experiencing unexpected "sick" joints (highlighted in red in the timeline) in your assemblies and then a crash after you updated Fusion 360 with the last June update. We just pushed a fix that takes care of the crash, but due to the complexity of how things rebuild in Fusion 360, bringing those sick joints back to tip-top shape will need some elbow grease on your end. 

We updated our what's new with a few options to try:

Option 1

how to promote.gif

1. Promote a previously saved version of your assembly pre-June update and work off of that version. You can do this by clicking on the version number on your design via the data panel, hover over the version you want to promote, and then click on the promote button. 

*OR*

Option 2

2. Delete your sick joints and re-apply them with fresh ones. 

A third option is to run a text command
1. Go to the file menu > View > show text commands
2. Make sure that the "TXT" is selected as the command type

3. Copy and paste: Fusion.RebuildOccurrences 

This will repair some occurrence info, and report on the results. If it returns OK, save your design, and it should be better.We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. We'll continue to monitor and test best ways to get this sorted so it doesn't happen again in the future. 

Keqing Song
Autodesk Fusion Community Manager
Portland, Oregon, USA

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
roach374
in reply to: keqingsong

I'm having an issue with joints since the update, but not sure it's the same as this. Basically, joints in included components are completely ignored in the top-level design. They're not showing up as "sick" in the timeline (since they're not in the timeline of the top-level design), and opening the component design, those joints work fine. This applies to joints, contact sets, and rigid groups.

Will this fix my issue?

Message 3 of 19
jeff_strater
in reply to: roach374

@roach374 - I was able to get the designs that you shared with us to work correctly using the text command to repair them.  I would recommend a bottom-up approach, since the problem could occur at any level in the design hierarchy.  You can also tack on a "/preview" to that command to show the number of problems in a design that will be fixed.  If that number is 0, no need to run that command on that level.  So, start at the bottom, run Fusion.RepairOccurrences, save go up to the next level, Get Latest, run the command, etc, till you get to the top.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 4 of 19
roach374
in reply to: jeff_strater

Thanks! This latest release seems to have fixed the problem!

...but now I'm getting "Error: Rigid1 Compute Failed: Position Calculation failed due to initialization error". I'll post a separate thread for that.

Message 5 of 19
roach374

Joints still failing in new and interesting ways. In this screencast, I'm attempting to rigid joint my assembly to the origin. Some problems:

- Can't orient the joint to a different plane (at 0:15 in the video)

- Can't change the angle of the joint, except around one axis. (at 0:26 in the video)

- Reverting the Position Capture causes all the joints in the included design to break (at 0:41), until I try to move the component by dragging it around. So there's no way to *not* move the component.

Basically Reverting Position Capture seems to always be breaking joints in the included design. But they will "un-break" if you move the component around in the design (Then break again when you revert that position capture). Going back in the timeline and deleting the joint or the position capture has a similar effect. The component doe not get moved back to its initial transform / position, and joints will break. It's basically a huge mess.

Fusion.RebuildOccurrences indicates "No Invalid JointOccurences or DcOccurences found".

Why am I trying to joint something to the Origin you ask? Good question! It's because grounding seems to be broken as well. If I ground the same component that I'm attempting to joint in the video, then try to joint something to that component, the grounding is ignored, ad the component moves freely.

Design file is attached.

Once the Screencast server finishes doing whatever it does, the screencast will be here: https://autode.sk/2FP1n04

Message 6 of 19
jeff_strater

I would add one more set of instructions to what @keqingsong put into his post, when using the Fusion.RebuildOccurrences text command:

• go bottom up in your design.  Open each level, run the command, then save
  • go up a level, do Get All Latest, and run the command there.  Even if there are no bad occurrences at that level, do a Compute All just to get things set OK
  • repeat, all the way to the top.

Most designs won't require this much effort, but if you are experiencing difficulties, try this bottom-up approach

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 7 of 19
jeff_strater

@roach374 - see the solution on this thread:  compute-failed-position-calculation-failed-due-to.  Let's try to keep the duplicate posts to a minimum, if we can.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 8 of 19
roach374

So I've gone back and deleted / rebuilt all of my assemblies (components made up from other design files), and recreated all the joints, and that seems to have completely solved the issue! It seems that Fusion.RebuildOccurrences maybe doesn't catch all the sick joints in every design. But now that I've gone back and remade all the joints from scratch, everything seems to be working fine!

...Although jointing a component to the origin still doesn't really work.

Message 9 of 19
novec001

Yeah, the ground feature is kinda weird. I've read an explanation for why it breaks when you include it in an assembly, so it seems to be intentional, but I can't remember where I read it.

The first thing I do when I create a component that's supposed to be "grounded" is to create an As-built Joint between the new component and the main design, or the new component's parent. That way it's stuck in place regardless of what I do before or after. Just make sure to pick the components from the browser so you don't inadvertently pick a random sub component. 

Of course, that won't let you rotate or reorient the joint at all, so it might not do exactly what you want, but it's worth a try.

Message 10 of 19
subversivespeed
in reply to: novec001

Thanks for the as-built rigid joint between the new component and the original design!!!

Awesome idea.. I was going through some real issues with this.

Btw, I had to go back to  ( i shall not name the name lest it gain power over me get behind me evil) for a customer job and the issues they have with "mates" was astronomical in the methods required to repair it.

I love Fusion more and more everyday.. You can't fully appreciate Fusion until you have 20gb of bog slow overpriced hypeware you are forced to use and then go back to Fusion.

BTW I used a expensive software since 1998 and they have unfortunately broken more than they have fixed to where its near unuseable and they absolutely ignore it or ask us to spend money on "more training" .. One of the things they eventually broke was the bank of the many employers I have worked for with ornery licensing agreements. Fusion has truly been a joy to see improve and develop and when this next big chunk of cash comes I am getting the largest Fusion Ultimate license I can and I hope everyone on this development team is a billionaire in the next few years for the admirable work they have done here. 🙂

Message 11 of 19
p.riebe

The Text Command method doesn't work on my end. I just get this message:

Fusion.RebuildOccurrences

No invalid JointOccurrences or DcOccurrences found

The sick joints don't change at all, and the model itself doesn't change either. Editing the mates, changing them, etc. does not fix the error. 

Last week before the hotfix I tried rebuilding my assembly completely using some rebuilt and some original subassemblies, and everything was fine until I saved it and reopened it again, at which point I got the same issue. The first assembly was put together the day after the June 27th update, so it seems that every assembly put together since that update is having problems. I will rebuild the assembly one more time and see if the problem persists after this fix.

Message 12 of 19
yatyas72

When I left work today I had an assembly that worked. I got home and now the joints are all bad. I couldn't edit them and after an hour of playing around I deleted them but as you can see in the picture the joint 'ghosts' are still there. If you look in the Design History at the bottom there are no joints shown. When I try to create new joints it says there is already a joint there and gives me an error. I REALLY NEED to have this fixed as I have machining operations to do tomorrow but I need joints to check for interference's first.

I haven't checked other assemblies but I literally have hundreds. If they are all in this shape I will lose a TON of work.Fusion Joints.png

We need an option to turn off automatic updates!

Message 13 of 19
subversivespeed
in reply to: yatyas72

Yeah I just lost some work too where I am fighting the new UIs seemingly inability to run some very important add-ins AND I am getting wierd joints that are deleted then somehow I cannot reintroduce/edit them to a working point. 

Oddly enough, the other big name software now has the same sort of issue. Starting to wonder if this is win10 related?

I seriously have seen some odd behaviors in win10 with quite a few apps since I have started being forced to use it.

Message 14 of 19
p.riebe
in reply to: yatyas72

I think I might be able to help, lkfultz. 

When you open the document with the broken red joints, don't rebuild it by clicking the "Get all latest" button. This for some reason makes the text command not work. Instead, as soon as you open the document, select "show text commands." 

Then, in the bottom right hand corner, click the "TXT" selector. 

Then type "Fusion.RebuildOccurrences" into the text box. It should give you back some text telling you about the things it fixed. This worked for me, and when I clicked "Get all latest" after that, it refreshed the assembly and everything was happy again. Let us know if this works.Rebuild Occurrences.png

Message 15 of 19

@subversivespeed for the add-in issue - the new toolbar as new API, whereas the add-ins were written using the old API. We're trying to let all the authors know so they can update their add-ins with the new API - if you can also help by reaching out to them, letting them know this is important for you, that'd help us and the community as a whole!

Keqing Song
Autodesk Fusion Community Manager
Portland, Oregon, USA

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

Message 16 of 19
yatyas72
in reply to: p.riebe

That still didn't help as you can see I was able to revert back to an earlier model so the assembly is back however all of the joint show up in RED at the bottom and I can't edit them. For now I can work with this but would like a way to fix it without having to recreate an assembly. As I mentioned I have hundreds of assemblies for our products and it would be a huge time-suck to have to do this.

Also when I ran the Fusion.RebuildOccurances it came back with No Invalid Joint Occurances found as you can also see at the bottom of the picture.

Thanks in advance for your help.Fusion Joints 2.png

Message 17 of 19

Ok thanks for that. There should have been a warning before selecting it like "hey your add-ins may stop working".  Some of the add-ins are way more important to me than the UI.

Until the authors get onboard can we perhaps get an extension on the UI integration?  Unfortunately the "save as dxf" doesn't even really come close to the "DXF4Laser" add-in and whilst I would love to use the CAM functionality for cnc plasma cutting unfortunately my machine only accepts dxfs, so I can't export it as g-code and use it natively on the table.

Message 18 of 19

A question: When you say to apply the Fusion.RebuildOccurrences operations in a bottom-up fashion, does that mean that the Fusion.RebuildOccurrences command applies only to the currently ACTIVE component, or maybe only to currently VISIBLE components?

Message 19 of 19

@RogerInHawaii - it has nothing to do with either active or visible components.  That command applies only to joints owned by the current design you are editing.  So, if you have external references, and one of those has joints in it, those joints are owned by that design.  So, "bottom up" in this case means:  Start with the lowest level assembly that has joints, run that command, save the design, and go up to the next level.  Repeat until you get to the top of your design.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report