Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to edit from imported .STL

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
jpj1183
2396 Views, 13 Replies

How to edit from imported .STL

Hi, 

Part 1: I've just imported a .STL file from the grab cad community website. I'm having trouble figuring out how to select only the extruded text in the mesh body. no matter which way I try to select only the text portion, it selects the entire object.

Part 2: My final goal is to select the text and change it to read differently. Is this possible for text that has already been extruded?

Thanks

Jared

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
jhackney1972
in reply to: jpj1183

You will need to zip up and attach your STL file so the forum users can troubleshoot if for you.  STL files are very hard way to work in Fusion 360, you would be better off working with them in Meshmixer.  If you do not know how to attach your model, open it in Fusion360, select the File menu and then choose Export and save the .F3D file to your hard drive. Then use the Attachments section of a reply forum post to attach it.

Attachment.jpg

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 14
jeff_strater

STL is a mesh format.  While you can use Fusion to edit a mesh, it is not an ideal mesh editor.  So, to edit the mesh, you'll have to go into the Mesh environment, and use the tools there.  However, you will likely not have much luck in your task of changing the text.  In the mesh environment, you can probably select the text and delete it, but there are no tools for adding new text to the mesh.  You might have better luck in Meshmixer, but even there, it will be a challenge, I suspect.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 4 of 14
jpj1183
in reply to: jhackney1972

Thank you, I downloaded Meshmixer but probably need to watch some tutorials as I am not familiar with it. I've also uploaded the .f3d file as you suggested. 

Jared

Message 5 of 14
jpj1183
in reply to: jeff_strater

Thank you, if I chose to delete the text would it require some repair work or will it clos in the deleted sections?

Jared

Message 6 of 14
TheCADWhisperer

This would make an excelent example to use as reference to learn how to model natively in Fusion 360.

The first step is to import into file with correct document units.  (You better check on this.)

TheCADWhisperer_0-1608505673121.png

Message 7 of 14
jpj1183
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

@TheCADWhisperer  thank you! 

I went back to look at the GrabCad page where I uploaded the .STL file but could not find anything regarding the correct units. I would have assumed the units were embedded into the file itself. Is this what you are referring to? Sorry, I am only days into using this software.

Jared

Message 8 of 14
TheCADWhisperer

Stl does not carry unit information.

Do you know how to change units in Fusion?

Can you Attach the original *.stl file here?

Stl is rubbish format - no curves - only lines and triangular planes.

Message 9 of 14
jpj1183

@TheCADWhisperer  after a quick google search on how to do it I found my default units for new design are in mm. I've attached the original .STL file.

I'm a little over my head currently. Do you know of any tutorials that show how I can lay extruded text onto the body? So that I can simply change the text to any combination of letters? I'd also like to learn how to do this natively as you stated in your first response.

Jared

Message 10 of 14
TheCADWhisperer

@jpj1183 

Start a new file.

Verify that your Document Settings units are mm.

Go to Insert Mesh.

Verify that your Insert Mesh units are mm.

Insert Mesh.png

Attach the new *.f3d file here for next step.

Message 11 of 14
TheCADWhisperer

@jpj1183 

Did you get this all figured out?

TheCADWhisperer_0-1608734088382.png

Message 12 of 14
jpj1183

I wasn't able to. but from what you've posted it seems like the size is correct and suitable. The problem I have been trying to work out is placing the text on it. Specifically, how to lay it directly on the body at the correct angle, how to make it linked/welded/incorporated into the body, and finally how to be able to edit the text 

Jared

Message 13 of 14
TheCADWhisperer

You will have to model the part as native geometry for quality geometry.

Message 14 of 14
TheCADWhisperer

Once the basic geometry is laid out - you can begin making parametric features.

TheCADWhisperer_0-1608821174604.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report