Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I turn object snap on?

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
Anonymous
31232 Views, 19 Replies

How do I turn object snap on?

I have been trying to find where to turn object snaps on in fusion 360. I have used many CAD software before like AutoCAD, Solidworks, MasterCAM, and Rhino and all of them have the ability to snap to places like center points in circles and intersections between objects but I cannot find these options anywhere in fusion 360. Can anyone help me? 

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
jhackney1972
in reply to: Anonymous

I assume you are talking about sketch constraints which are sometimes called "object snaps" in other applications.  These are applied automatically while sketching in Fusion 360.  You will notice then appear when you get near a circle center, sketch a vertical or horizontal line.  You may not be seeing them after they are placed because you do not have "Show Constraints" checked in the Sketch Palette.

Show Constraints.jpg

Additional sketch constraints can be added by selecting them from the "Constraints" tool panel.  In the screen capture below I am showing you the new UI Preview Fusion 360 environment.

Additional Sketch Constraints.jpg

You can prevent a sketch constraint from being automatically applied by holding down the Ctrl key when you are picking points in your sketch.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 20
g-andresen

Hi,

If I understand you correctly, you're looking for the projection tool.
This is selected in sketch mode with the shortcut "P" or in the sketch palette under Project.
In the preferences you can activate "autoproject“.

günther

Message 4 of 20
plouciplouca
in reply to: g-andresen

A big thanks to you ! I was looking for the answer about "why my snap do not work at all?" and found nothing but your answer. Now that ghosty box is checked, my snap definitely works now !

Message 5 of 20
mhag33tg2

I am trying to draw a sketch on a plane that is a section through other existing components. I want the sketch for the new component to be drawn exactly and relative to several other existing components.   But I can't get the sketch lines to snap to the lines and features of the existing components in that cross section.  I have seen in the training video  (  https://help.autodesk.com/view/fusion360/ENU/courses/AP-SKETCH-BASICS  at 1min 43 sec.  ) it is possible and normal to do, but I can't get lines to snap to objects like James does.   My new sketch lines do sometimes snap to other objects at other times, eg like when sketching on a surface, but for me how and when snaps work and do not work seems pretty random, meaning I do not understand it.

In my section plane the sketch lines will snap to the grid, which is not what I want.   In the sketch pallet I turned that off.  I have tried various sketch pallet settings to no avail. The above replies do not help.  I presume something is wrong with my snap settings and have tried to find how to change it in Fusion (like in AutoCad), but I can't see how to do that.

To get the section plane I am working on, I did this:   >Solid>Construct>Plane...   then  Inspect>Section Analysis> and selected that new plane.  Then  Solid>Create sketch>Select that construction plane.    I have also tried the nice "slice" functionality in the sketch pallet, but the object snaps do not work in that for me either.

I would appreciate your help.

Message 6 of 20
cow448w
in reply to: mhag33tg2

youll probably find as time goes by and these poxy updates are installed you loose functionality in this crap product. i wish to god id never bought it!

Message 7 of 20
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: cow448w

@cow448w wrote:

i wish to god id never bought it!

You can test for free before purchase?

Message 8 of 20
mhag33tg2
in reply to: cow448w

I found out how to make snaps work.  Software did not need an update.  There is a setting in preferences that needed to be turned on.  My first project was a struggle with the very steep learning curve but now I am onto my third project and am speeding up, making fewer mistakes and getting good progress.

Message 9 of 20
samehbijo

I am having the same issue , which settings in preferences exactly that fixed your problem ?

Message 10 of 20
mhag33tg2
in reply to: samehbijo

I can't remember exactly now, but I think do this:   Click your initials in top right corner, click preferences, click Design under General, turn on the check box for either "Auto project geometry on active sketch plane" or else it was  "Auto project edges on reference".   I recall there was a check box in there that was off and it just needed to be turned on to make snaps work.

Message 11 of 20
kalpthakkar2001

Go to Preferences (From top-right corner)

Open General>Design

Check "Auto project edges on reference"

(These are how my settings settings look like)

Screenshot (1238).png

This worked for me, I hope it will work for you as well 🙂

Message 12 of 20
samehbijo

Thanks alot , it does work , however , on every click I do , a projection line and constrains are created , I wish that there is a way jut to use the snaps without the projection lines .

Message 13 of 20
g-andresen
in reply to: samehbijo

Hi,

my tip:

uncheck the setting in preferences and use „project“ tool (P).

This way it´s your decision.

günther

Message 14 of 20
rimell

Where exactly is that setting in preferences? Can't find it!

Message 15 of 20
g-andresen
in reply to: rimell

Hi,

@rimell  schrieb:

here

autopro.png

günther

Message 16 of 20
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: rimell

@rimell wrote:

Are you looking for Preferences or the setting?

TheCADWhisperer_0-1628277990478.png

Message 17 of 20
fireflynj

Did not work for me.

Message 18 of 20
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: fireflynj

@fireflynj 

What didn’t work for you?

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Message 19 of 20
fireflynj
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

'Auto project edges on reference' did not work, but using the 'P'  I got many points and triangles that I could click on, but no lines.  Turns out it was because the body was converted from a STL file.

Message 20 of 20

This worked for me.  Thank you!  🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report