Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat pattern incomplete

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
terryHCEB7
432 Views, 18 Replies

Flat pattern incomplete

Here's one, that is mind-boggling.

When I create a flat pattern out of a sheet material with any type of engraving, rabbets, or dado's those features are completely missing from the .DXF file.

I mean, for real? How is that even an oversight?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

This one will be easy to resolve.

Message 3 of 19

Here's the file, I hope it's as easy as you feel.

Thx 🙂

Message 4 of 19

Is the Attached 2D dxf what you were after

or are you after a 3D dxf?

Once I know (2D or 3D) I can create video on the process.

Message 5 of 19
terryHCEB7
in reply to: terryHCEB7

I was looking for a 2d dxf file that had all the elements from my flat pattern included, so I could import into my CNC layout program to apply tool paths.

I DL'ed your dxf file and imported it, and it came in just fine,  what's the issue on my end?

Message 6 of 19

I will post video when it finishes compiling.

@terryHCEB7 

Check >>this link<< in a few minutes.

Message 7 of 19
terryHCEB7

Ok, got it, I appreciate the instructional video a great deal. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

But quite honestly, this is one of the many small issues I've found with Fusion that just don't make sense when compared to how other CAD programs handle flat pattern export.

So many extra steps. Having to recreate geometry that you've already created to export out into a flat pattern just breaks the creation process.

I really feel the export of flat patterns needs some attention.

Thanks again, from a frustrated user.

Message 8 of 19
terryHCEB7

I still see this as a huge bug in the flat pattern generator.

When a person designs a part that has scribes, rabbets, or grooves, none of those features are represented in the exported flat pattern.

The user should 'NOT' have to go back and create more sketches or steps, just to get the results that should be present in the flat patterns.

Doing so seems like an extra burden in the process that is not needed.

I hope this gets addressed soon.

Message 9 of 19
terryHCEB7

Here is another prime example of how incomplete the flat patterns are, I created a simple cabinet with shelf pin holes spaced on both sides and a rabbet in the back for a back panel.

When I go to export the flat pattern, NONE of those features is in the 2d DXF drawing.

Having to create a separate drawing file to capture those elements is ridiculous.

Message 10 of 19

@terryHCEB7 

You have to Project both faces.

Message 11 of 19

@terryHCEB7 wrote:

When I go to export the flat pattern, NONE of those features is in the 2d DXF drawing.

@terryHCEB7 

Then you are doing something wrong.

I think I know exactly what mistake you made - but no file Attached to diagnose?

Message 12 of 19

Here's my file, I went back and didn't see anything I did incorrectly, or any other options for export.

Message 13 of 19

See Attached dxf.

Is this not what you are expecting?

TheCADWhisperer_0-1649352759561.png

TheCADWhisperer_0-1649353400317.png

1. Select the face with the holes as the sketch plane for creating the sketch.

2. P for Project.

3. Select the Rabbet face AND the hole face.

4. Save the sketch as dxf.

Message 14 of 19

Sure is, so what did you have to do other than select the face side and export the DXF file to include the holes and rabbet?

Message 15 of 19

@terryHCEB7 wrote:

Sure is, so what did you have to do other than select the face side and export the DXF file to include the holes and rabbet?

If I follow what I think you are saying - I am not selecting the “side face” only the rabbet face and the hole face.  Logically you select the faces that you want in the dxf.

Message 16 of 19

When I say face side I mean the face that will be facing up during machining.

Attached is a video of the steps I take to create the pattern, not sure why the features aren't included in mine?

Message 17 of 19

Your video does not follow the instructions that I gave in my video.

In my video I explain that you might think the way you are trying is the correct way, but it is not and then I demonstrate the correct technique for cases like this.  I don’t understand what is confusing about my video and the steps that I outlined.  I did not see you do those 4 steps in your video..

Message 18 of 19

Because it's wrong, having to make extra steps to get everything that should already be included in the flat patterned DXF file is wrong.

What if it were a sheet metal part with blind holes, or other features that don't go through the entirety of the part? So I create a flat pattern to get the bend lines, then create a sketch, project those features I need onto the sketch, then create a composite of the entire thing just to do what should have been done in one step?

No!

Having to create another file just to get the features that are modeled and right there in the part when it goes into its flat patterning operation is asinine.

I appreciate the help you're trying to give and the time you took to do it, and I can get the same results, but it's not the right way it should be done.

Message 19 of 19

@terryHCEB7 wrote:

right way it should be done

I would use Autodesk Inventor Professional for this.

The trade-off in lower cost Fusion is a few extra clicks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report