Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decals not rendering properly

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
645 Views, 3 Replies

Decals not rendering properly

Hello-

I'm having problems with how certain decals render in cloud/local/in-canvas (especially with "Egyptair" and bird decals). I'm wondering if there is a way to solve this.

Link to the project: https://a360.co/3bewwsn 

(P.S. The fuselage is made using a t-spline then thicken inwards)

How the decals look on my screen before renderingHow the decals look on my screen before rendering

How decals looks after renderingHow decals looks after rendering

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Phil.E
in reply to: Anonymous

In this case it's tough to say. I'm going to log a case for it. T-splines can sometimes be trouble for decals. This is a good example.

Looking at your model, I first did not find a row of windows, but also the decal was not following the "chain faces" rule. 

• I deleted the failed split operations in the timeline.
  • Then split the fuselage body into three sections.
  • Then reapplied the decals to the correct bodies. (the placement in my image may not be perfect, see below)
  • Render again - and it worked well.

split the main body.png

One thing about Decal is it doesn't like "holes". In the model, the windows are all cut out and this will distort the decal. Fortunately, your model allows you to work around this. My suggestion is to do two things: make every window a body, and make no holes in the bodies with decals.

I used extrude surface, boundary fill, offset face, and pattern, to produce a row of windows without making holes in the fuselage. The key is to offset the window face a few mm to make it stand out from the decal surface. 

adding windows as bodies.png

Please let me know if you have questions, glad to help! Here is my rendering result:
B787-9 v1.png

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Phil.E

You are correct, t-splines were the problem. The decals however, didn't interfere with the windows as I disabled chain faces and just selected the faces each decal needs. But your methods for the windows is much better IMO and avoids the random errors that occurred to me. 

Another workaround I found was to close off the fuselage t-spline and it will turn solid. That seems to fix the decals and the visual glitching that happened sometimes for me (Although this isn't what a fuselage should be realistically).

Render of the workaround solutionRender of the workaround solution

Message 4 of 4
Phil.E
in reply to: Anonymous

Looks beautiful. Nice model!

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report