Fusion 360 Preview Functionality
We’re talking the latest Previews. Love it? On the fence? Want to access? Discuss here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Metal Edge Flange

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
promm
944 Views, 7 Replies

Sheet Metal Edge Flange

I have received feedback that there is not a way to edit a flag's width.  In the image below you can see where to access the width options, please provide feedback on your initial thoughts and suggestions on how this can be improved.

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 6.30.38 AM.png

Cheers,

Mike Prom

Labels (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
PhilProcarioJr
in reply to: promm

@promm

I like the layout and look of the tool. One thing I would like to see is a quick access panel above or below the numeric input for tool options so I don't always have to mouse over to the tool roll out. I think all tools in Fusion could benefit from this though.

Honestly though that's a slight nitpick.

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

Message 3 of 8
promm
in reply to: PhilProcarioJr

Good feedback Phil,

You should have the preview turned on now.  Continue to share your thoughts as you try it out.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

Message 4 of 8
TravisJoe

I will make a separate post for the main flange height but I feel that when defining features like this a "up to" option with offset is a need. Especially when top down modeling is a big selling point of the product. 

Message 5 of 8
matthewweake

The Flange Extents (Edge, Symmetric, TwoSide) are measure from the centre of the edge selected.

I would prefer it measured back from each end because:

1. I want the gaps at the ends to be parametric.

2. I forget the overall length of the flange to get the dimension right and measure tool is not modeless to get the size quickly.

Matthew Weake
matthew.w@cadpro.co.nz
+64 9 302 4028
Message 6 of 8
TravisJoe
in reply to: matthewweake

Similar it possible option would be able to set the base point of the flange on the edge and set flange width based on that base point.

There are plenty of ways around this, but and example is if the part is being driven more from one side of the part and not based on symmetry. Being able to set a distance from one edge to the center point then setting width.

Maybe a concept of a control point for the flange.

Message 7 of 8
cekuhnen

@promm

The UI issue I could see is that you use a different visual way to describe direction, symmetry or two sided

compared to for example Extrude and such. Those tiny UI inconsistencies can be quite annoying and daunting

for new users who search for functions by memories visual clues (icons and such) from other tools.

But in general I like the approach. 

What I would like to see is also the ability when moving the arrows to have snapping targets on the edge such

as the mid point. otherwise I would have to measure the edge first divide the value by 2 and enter the result.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Message 8 of 8
promm
in reply to: matthewweake

@matthewweake,

The flange width measures from the center, is not the finial workflow intention.  The final workflow will allow users to parametrically offset from the ends.  This is a project that turned out to be larger than we expected, rather than weight and have nothing in the meantime I chose to have it go out now with the measure to the center and have the improvement ranked high in our backlog.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report