Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Z zero when using 4th axis

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
tspinetti
202 Views, 4 Replies

Setting Z zero when using 4th axis

I'm running my first part using a 4th axis and learning as I go.  But I'm stumped about setting Z zero to a part that is not on a horizontal plane.  Do you set Z zero to the top of your material before or after rotating to the machining orientation?  Or is there another method that I'm not thinking about?  I did a quick forum search but didn't find anything on this.  I realize I could pick an arbitrary point anywhere above the material but I need to control the depth of the hole in relation to the top horizontal plane.  See the Shaft Hole Ops setup in the attached file.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Does your control have TCP and DWO? if not your going to have to set you origin point at the center of rotation of your other axis's.

Message 3 of 5
a.laasW8M6T
in reply to: tspinetti

Hi, 

What machine are you using, this influences the work flow a little bit.

I'm guessing maybe a Tormach?

If thats the case you will always need to be programming from center of rotation.

So the WCS for your part needs to be on the YZ centerline of the rotary axis.

then you can  set your part horizontal then use tool orientation to move the part.

I'm not sure how you are going to accurately locate the part on centerline as I do not know how you are planning on holding onto it.

rotation center.png

tool orientation.png

So Ive uploaded the file with just that setup modified, Its up to you to figure out how to hold it.

i've also uploaded a version that machines pretty much the entire part on the 4th axis in one setup and a screen cast explaining a little: https://autode.sk/3IJ46HF 

Pic of how I Regularly hold onto stuff like thisworkholding.png

Message 4 of 5

My machine control is PathPilot.  Not sure what TCP or DWO is so I'd say PathPilot does not have these features.

Message 5 of 5
tspinetti
in reply to: a.laasW8M6T

Yes, I have a Tormach.  I understand what you are saying and will give it a try.  For the top and bottom Ops I referenced Z from the top of the stock but obviously that doesn't work when locating on an inclined plane.  The center of rotation method makes sense.  Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report