Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Processor for Turning Operations in 3 Axis VMC

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
chris_IgniteDigi
425 Views, 2 Replies

Post Processor for Turning Operations in 3 Axis VMC

Hi,

I have a Siemens 808D controlled VMC, and I want to take advantage of mounting a work piece in the spindle, with turning tools mounted in  a gang plate on the table, and turning several features that are not possible to machine otherwise (without buy a lathe).

Can anyone offer any suggestion on how to output a suitable tool path from Fusion 360 for this?

I would like to achieve this -> 

Screenshot 2017-03-08 23.17.53.pngScreenshot 2017-03-08 23.17.32.png

Thanks

Chris

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

I don't think Autodesk is going to support this at any time, and I wouldn't expect them to acknowledge the possibility positively from a programming perspective.

You could try contacting AvantMfg on IG (the owner of those photos) and seeing how he tackled it. I don't know that I'd be comfortable modifying a post to do this either for anything but my own use. The use-case is so machine-specific and touchy that I wouldn't want to risk being held accountable.

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 3 of 3

I have had a chat with AvantMfg .... super helpful

At this point I have taken the Seimens Generic Turning post and modified it so that it will output code that the mill will accept.

I'm wondering if anyone would have a suggestion on how to handle tool changes, such that a gang tool block could be used. AvantMfg use different work offsets, but my machine only has limited offsets (G54-G59)

I was wondering if the post processor could be changed to enable the machine to step over in Y when a tool change is called. Then the ZX coordinates remain unchanged for the turning profiles.

Cheers

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report