Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

knurl

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
mwinepol
690 Views, 2 Replies

knurl

what is the best way to setup in cam to knurl. there is no knurling tool in tool library.

speeds and feeds? i know knurl pitch is important. i dont need it modeled just cam

Thanks

Mike

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
pmesten18
in reply to: mwinepol

Depends on the type of knurling tool you are using.

Most knurling tools (if they are the rotating wheel type) will effectively be fixed to a specific pitch, and they will cut only the pitch they are ground to be. 

If your part has a specific pitch you need to create, you will need to buy a knurling wheel that will cut that pitch. They are not like threads where pitch is controlled by feeding into or along the work at any specific feed-rate relative to speed. You can even idle a knurl on the workpiece while it is spinning, and it will continue to follow in it's own cuts.

Most of the time I have found the quality of a knurl to be very dependent on the relative position of the knurling wheels in the "Y axis" along with how the actual tooling is adjusted to make sure they don't "double cut" this can take some trial and error, or test cuts to best dial in for cut quality. A small chamfer where you lead in will help if you need to cut a knurl longer than the width of your knurling tool. If this is the case, you will want to bring your tool to the part, plunge in at .001/per rev to the final depth, feed along the axial distance required, and then feed directly out. If you can, plunging in completely off the stock, and then feeding axially into your cut will help your tool life.

As far as the cam goes, I usually just fake it, model the knurl as a large OD groove tool with the appropriate holder modeled, or OD turning tool if it's just an easy diameter with little risk of crashing into a shoulder.

for S/F: I wouldn't run it more than 100sfm for a HSS knurling tool, You can just feed them at .004-.02 per rev if you need to travel axially along your part. don't run multiple passes, just one shot along the length of your part, and then feed out in X. 

Can you post a picture of the actual tooling you are intending to use?

For more than general speeds and feeds I would need to know more about the tooling (there are many types of knurling tools, cut-type, forming, and numerous types of knurling holders) as well as the material to be cut.

Message 3 of 3
mwinepol
in reply to: pmesten18

https://www.travers.com/sck-self-centering-knurling-tools-for-cnc-lathe/p/55-370-736/

thanks for your reply, the knurl tool i spoke of can be seen at link above. its a Dorian self centering

the lathe i have is a tormach slant lathe pro 15, no y axis, just x and z

thanks

mike

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report