Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internal groove milling

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
gmdimarzio88
417 Views, 5 Replies

Internal groove milling

I have  a part that requires a blind groove. I am able to get the tool to plunge into the hole (via the predrill entry command), and interpolate out to the desired diameter. I need help getting the retract to obey the same predrill command. I tried youtube and the forum but I need some help on the lead out only. File is attached.
Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
seth.madore
in reply to: gmdimarzio88

I'll take a look at the .step file, but it would be handy to have the Fusion file so we can see your toolpath (and tool) selections. Please share that if you can; File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 6
gmdimarzio88
in reply to: seth.madore

Meant to export the f3d. So used to having to export steps.
All I want is for the tool to lead out the predrill just like the lead in.

Message 4 of 6
gmdimarzio88

So far for 2D contour as far as I can tell I'd have to hand code a line right before the retract. A simple G1 move to the X, Y coordinate of the hole then Z0.6
I messed with bore for a while and made the feed height the top of the groove minus the thickness of the cutter. This allows the tool to drop 0.157" below the surface, interpolate out until it reaches the bottom of the groove, leads to center and retracts. 
Here's an updated file showing how it works. 

Message 5 of 6
seth.madore

As you've discovered, we don't yet have the ability to define lead out positions. However, there's something we can do with 2D Contour that should get you what you're looking for.

Turn on Predrill point. Turn on Lead-in/out. Set it to this:

2022-05-20_13h15_58.png

 It will get you a toolpath like this:

2022-05-20_13h16_22.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 6 of 6
gmdimarzio88
in reply to: seth.madore

Thanks Seth! I'll give that a try. Hopefully Autodesk can get Lead out control put into a future update.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report